Light tackle. I have fished with several guides there.  One really got us on the snook. Others were hit or miss. Of course I landed my bucket list Snook on my boat in a feeding frenzy. Blind luck but I’d like to learn how to get around down there, learn the seasonal patterns and get a better idea how to actually target and catch them when I’m able to get down that way. We are driving to LA to get after redfish.  That’s a lot of fun but I prefer the glades over the Mississippi Delta. And love catching snook. 

Didnt know Hon was fishing that area. I’ve purchased some of his equipment over the years. I will definitely look him up.   Will check out the others as well. 

I will be making a couple of quick trips to Naples in the Fall (Oct and Nov) so will need a guide for a day or two each trip. Eventually hope to move my boat down there.  

Anyone know of Brian Sanders?  Someone else recommended him but I have yet to get a response from him  

Depends on the weather. Expect all over. I've given up on live bait- just not as much fun as throwing top waters or slash/jerk baits. Sight fishing in the back is a blast. Look for moving water, even if its a subtle change. If it gets cool early, then fish the warm ups. 

You could always fish the dock lights in Port Royal at night for an interesting experience. Depending on transition they can hold some big snook and tarpon. Perfect for your boat and you wouldn't need to know the area as well.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:33 PM, rubble said:

Better to live bait or light tackle?

Live bait ???? What's that ????

Look up the name Mike Merritt....he's a full time guide....

Don't know if Capt Peter Babb still guides, but, he's a good teacher....

Honson definately knows his stuff.....and if it's a teaching trip for a Kentucky-ian, I'm sure he'd show you the ropes....

Or, just invite ol Capt DonH....he knows all my spots :) 

dc