I-Pilot remote magical fix

Drummer

Hello gang, yesterday I pulled into a "no-combustible" area with a charter only to have my I-Pilot remote appear dead. I changed the battery - still dead. So, rather than poling 1/2 a mile into the wind, we moved on to another spot. No issue with the anglers. After researching a bit and anticipating purchasing a new remote I ended up taking my volt/ohm meter and closing the circuit between the remote's battery terminals. The meter gave me a short beep. I reinstalled the battery and guess what - it works like new. I guess I rebooted the pesky little sucker. Total time of repair was under 60 seconds. Since I keep a multi-meter in my electrical kit on the boat and a few new remote batteries I'll keep this in mind for future failures. I hope this magic helps somebody else. 

On 7/10/2019 at 6:57 AM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Good information. Since the voltmeter completed the circuit and it fixed the problem, I don't see why a simple piece of wire used as a jumper between the terminals in the remote can't do the same thing. I do not carry a voltmeter on my boat.

That could work, not sure as I have not tried it. The advantage to the ohm meter is it lets you know when the circuit is open or closed. In any case, I believe this info should help us out. 

• Like 1

with old style (flat battery) there is a known issue.    the little tab in the battery compartment is not stiff enough to maintain contact.  Simple solution: fold a tiny piece of paper, piece of business card, etc and put under the tab.  That will keep it in contact.  New version does not use same battery and does not have problem.