Hatch latch issue

Bruce J

I was locking up the hatches on my Pathfinder 2400 and on one of them the whole cylinder/core of the lock came out with the key.  I could put it back in, but only in the unlocked position.  One of my other latches seemed a little shaky too, but I managed to get it locked and extract the key.  Has anyone else run into this, and is there an easy fix by any chance?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bruce J said:

When asked about the key for the new hatch locks, I was told they will match my original ones.  I asked if that meant there was only one key type for these locks, and he said yes.  That seems really unlikely to me, but I'll see when I get back to my boat next week.

So that confirms what I had heard years ago. There is only one key.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the new latches and when trying to replace the originals I ran into a new problem. I found that the original latches are 5200’d (or equivalent) onto the hatch. I tried every reasonable means of persuasion but could not budge them at all. I didn’t use a heat gun because I didn’t have one handy, but also because I didn’t know if it would help. 

Any suggestions?  

• 4 months later...
44 minutes ago, Hutch03 said:

BRUCE. Old thread but how did you resolve the latch issue...  the shaft screw of my rod locker latch broke in half. Tried to get gemlux on line a few times but no luck yet.  But I cannot get the core of that latch to budge,  thanks Hutch

It takes a little force. I had someone hold the hatch (to stabilize it) and from the underside I used a nail punch and gently tapped on one side long enough to pop it out. Don’t try to twist it because it won’t budge. 

I haven’t tried any further to replace mine because the ability to lock the hatch - which I rarely do - didn’t seem worth the trouble of dealing with the 5200.  But I might try it agin if this Debond works. My question is whether it will work when there’s almost no 5200 exposed?  There is none visible beyond the edge of the latch which fits very snugly against the gelcoat. 

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread and thought I would post what I use on every lock I have in my life.....This stuff is absolutely incredible.  A distant cousin was a locksmith and this was all he used to keep his key holes and tumbles in perfect shape.  I spray this on my hitch lock and it has been on my truck for almost 8 years and still comes right off, no seizing or anyhitng.

image.png.b8605ad0b7793425e41ce7cfeda86425.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

Just saw this thread and thought I would post what I use on every lock I have in my life.....This stuff is absolutely incredible.  A distant cousin was a locksmith and this was all he used to keep his key holes and tumbles in perfect shape.  I spray this on my hitch lock and it has been on my truck for almost 8 years and still comes right off, no seizing or anyhitng.

image.png.b8605ad0b7793425e41ce7cfeda86425.png

Houdini is great stuff.  My bro-in-law says the same exact thing - learned it from a locksmith...  He swears by it - uses it for everything - never shuts up about it.  I think he puts some on his cereal in the morning, LOL!  JK!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Houdini is great stuff.  My bro-in-law says the same exact thing - learned it from a locksmith...  He swears by it - uses it for everything - never shuts up about it.  I think he puts some on his cereal in the morning, LOL!  JK!!

when i walk by my shelf in the garage, I touch the can just to stay smooth!!!!

• Haha 1