F115 vs VF115

Flats Man

Anyone know the technical differences between these two motors? I've done my homework and can't find what makes them different. I know Yamaha says the performance is better on the vmax sho but I can't find a single thing that separates them technically with the exception of the paint job. Gear ratio, weight, displacement, etc. all the same. I'm guessing the tuning is the only difference? I heard the crank shaft was different modifying the curve and generating more horse power at top end but I checked that out, and the part number for the crank shaft appears to be the same in both motors. There are all kinds of opinions on this topic but can't find the facts, not even from a Yamaha dealer. They just say the vmax performs better, which is great but I want to know why. I'm not interested in top speed, I want low end torque for a good hole shot. If top end was the focus on the vmax then did it lose low end torque for instance? Thank you in advance.

image.png

Thanks guys, yes I would go with the sho if I decide to go with a new motor, have wanted one for some time now. Recently blew the powerhead in my S130 Yamaha, it's a shame too, the thing is in beautiful condition, except for that little blown powerhead thing. Thought this motor would have lasted forever. Painful, we don't miss them until something like that happens. 

Outlaw, did you have any issues fitting that sho under your poling platform? I have a 98' MA but the poling platform looks a lot like yours, maybe even the same one. I'd have you weld tube extensions for me but if I raise the platform it won't fit in my garage. Hoping the sho will fit, if my measurements are right I'll have less than two inches to spare but it's close.

Thanks again guys

On 5/10/2019 at 5:40 PM, Flats Man said:

Thanks guys, yes I would go with the sho if I decide to go with a new motor, have wanted one for some time now. Recently blew the powerhead in my S130 Yamaha, it's a shame too, the thing is in beautiful condition, except for that little blown powerhead thing. Thought this motor would have lasted forever. Painful, we don't miss them until something like that happens. 

Outlaw, did you have any issues fitting that sho under your poling platform? I have a 98' MA but the poling platform looks a lot like yours, maybe even the same one. I'd have you weld tube extensions for me but if I raise the platform it won't fit in my garage. Hoping the sho will fit, if my measurements are right I'll have less than two inches to spare but it's close.

Thanks again guys

Don't let the poling platform make your decision...Ralph can create a fold over platform very easily or create a sleeve...

That's the easy part....choose the engine that best suits your needs.....on a MA you not poling a whole lot unless I'm mistaken?  I have a 95 and I use it as my cutting board....

d

Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it! Need to take a closer measurement but it looks like I'm at 35 inches clearance. Really close. Still haven't decided if I'll get the old girl running again or just drop a new 115 sho on her. I have two boats at the moment so I'm still on the water even without my Mav so not really in a rush. I'll be reaching out to you Ralph if I need to modify that platform. Thanks again!

• 4 years later...