New GPS wiring question

Guys I am getting ready to wire up my Lowrance Elite 12 ti2 on my Redfisher. This is my first time doing this. I have attached a photo showing how the old Lowrance was hooked up. My question is should I Hook it up the same with the fuse wire that came with the new unit? Or go into one of the empty slots and plug the fuse into the fuse box. Thanks for your help. 

18E3B0D4-42ED-4C4C-AE84-79CD4AD722FE.jpeg

I'd go into the empty slot in the fuse block and plug in a fuse. make sure you install the correct size fuse because your unit did not come with one. It's probably a 3 or 5 amp fuse but check the installation instructions to make sure you use the correct size......don't be surprised if it doesn't tell you the fuse size. I went with a 5 amp on my 9" display.

47 minutes ago, Flats Man said:

I'd go into the empty slot in the fuse block and plug in a fuse. make sure you install the correct size fuse because your unit did not come with one. It's probably a 3 or 5 amp fuse but check the installation instructions to make sure you use the correct size......don't be surprised if it doesn't tell you the fuse size. I went with a 5 amp on my 9" display.

Thanks Flats Man it did come with a 3 amp fuse. 

In your photo the white circle is the main grounding connection for the fuse block also look just above and below the white circle at all of the black wires they are grounding lands as well, the main grounding wire will work you'll just need a ring terminal to fit the post. but do yourself a favor and use heat shrinkable connectors to help seal the terminal up or a piece of heat shrink to seal it up.  

7 minutes ago, George Seither said:

In your photo the white circle is the main grounding connection for the fuse block also look just above and below the white circle at all of the black wires they are grounding lands as well, the main grounding wire will work you'll just need a ring terminal to fit the post. but do yourself a favor and use heat shrinkable connectors to help seal the terminal up or a piece of heat shrink to seal it up.  

Thank you George. I plan on heat shrinking everything.

Same ground terminal is fine. Don't know why they gave you a 3amp fuse, that's for a 7" elite that's wired at 24v. I would up that a bit to the Lowrance recommendations listed above to avoid blowing the fuse when you're on the water just don't exceed there recommendations. I assume you're wiring the unit to a 12v circuit correct? If so they recommend a 10 amp fuse for a 12" display. That seems a little high to me but they are the experts.

3 minutes ago, Flats Man said:

Same ground terminal is fine. Don't know why they gave you a 3amp fuse, that's for a 7" elite that's wired at 24v. I would up that a bit to the Lowrance recommendations listed above to avoid blowing the fuse when you're on the water just don't exceed there recommendations. I assume you're wiring the unit to a 12v circuit correct? If so they recommend a 10 amp fuse for a 12" display. That seems a little high to me but they are the experts.

Flats Man I would say it’s 12 volt. But really not sure. It has dual batteries with a battery switch. How can I tell if it’s 24 volt running to the fuse box? If both batteries are turned on does that mean 24 volts is going to the fuse box? Also have a 3rd battery separate for the trolling motor.

I don't want to make assumptions without knowing your electrical system, do you have a volt meter? if so set it on DC and measure the voltage at the terminal strip. Red lead to red terminal and black lead to black terminal. I really need more information. How many batteries? Are they all 12v (says on top of them). Are you sure the trolling motor is only hooked up to one battery? I'm running out but will be back shortly to follow up if you need me.

18 minutes ago, Flats Man said:

I don't want to make assumptions without knowing your electrical system, do you have a volt meter? if so set it on 12 VDC and measure the voltage at the terminal strip. Red lead to red terminal and black lead to black terminal. I really need more information. How many batteries? Are they all 12v (says on top of them). Are you sure the trolling motor is only hooked up to one battery? I'm running out but will be back shortly to follow up if you need me.

I don’t have a volt meter, but I do need to get one. They are all 12 volt batteries, so I am sure it’s a 12 volt system. Thank you George for the explanation. Really appreciate everyone’s advice and help.

1 hour ago, George Seither said:

IMSnookyrd, Give us an update on the HDS Live units when ya can, I've been looking at them, on the Elite 2 units it appears they are the only units that will allow a second unit to blue tooth connect to each other to share full screen and control without a data cable. I called Lowrance to confirm this

The bluetooth is solid on the Live units. Can mirror and control the Live unit from another or in this case my iPad and range is probably 75' or more. It easily reaches my recliner from the garage anyway 😎

And to not derail...I wired direct to fuse block using the fuse they supplied which was a 5 I do believe for the 9" Live.

IMG_6036.jpg

8 minutes ago, triplec said:

The bluetooth is solid on the Live units. Can mirror and control the Live unit from another or in this case my iPad and range is probably 75' or more. It easily reaches my recliner from the garage anyway 😎

And to not derail...I wired direct to fuse block using the fuse they supplied which was a 5 I do believe for the 9" Live.

IMG_6036.jpg

Nice now I wish I would have gotten the HDS..... Lol.

Yes there help line is not very good. I called when I first got the unit because it sounded like it was loose inside. They couldn’t even find my serial number which was on the unit. It started with an 8. She said it starts with a 1 or 0. When I started the unit up the serial number started with an 8. I just went to Bass Pro and all the units are like that as well.

25 minutes ago, George Seither said:

Cool I like it! well seeing is believing so much for what Lowrance help line says!!!!!!!!! I specifically questioned them on 2 units bluetoothing together to eliminate running a data cable have you used the sounder yet? they state it's a big improvement but actual user experiences is what counts 

Well I may be incorrect in them bluetoothing to each other as I have no firsthand knowledge but she fo sho will connect to iPad. I know they have ethernet as well. I would think if the elites do the Lives do 🤷‍♂️

Call Justin at Russel Marine and he will know for sure. He is easy to get a hold of usually and knows these things inside and out and sells a pile. DM if you details on that. He may answer your questions here though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBpqFlupksM&t=188s

I don't have much time on it on the water but few hours. I am new to Lowrance and my Garmin was old but the detail on the bottom machine is incredible. The ability to change color palates and tweak everything so intuitively is superior to anything I have used. The downscan I haven't fooled with much yet but the side scan is spot on out to about 80' from cruising docks and rocks.  

The videos on the HDS live are impressive, the unit functionality looks very good as well, The Elite TI's I run do very well, so seriously looking at  to install a second 9", I believe the most robust set up is to connect to the Data Hy or NEMA 2000 Network for redundancy if one fails they are still on the network, but if installing a bow mount unit and only needing a power connection  helps simplify the installation less cables in the bottom of a boat the better JMO. 

Mad Beach: sorry for hijacking the tread let us know how it works out on the Elite TI2