Memorial Day in Marathon

dcathey

We have a large group headed down to Marathon for Memorial Day. I know the boat traffic down there will be nuts but we are going to tarpon fish and possibly try to get offshore if it’s slick. Will fishing the channels near the bridges be miserable due to the boat traffic or is it bearable? Do the areas up around Teakettle and East or West Bahia Honda hold any tarpon that late in the year? I’d like to have some reasonable shots at fish without fighting a million boaters

Where are some typical go to spots to find mullet ? Is Beachside better for finding the big schools of them? We are going to try to go the first afternoon and it would be sweet to load up on bait for the next morning as well. Our house is in the back of sister creek so we can come out the creek beachside or out of the harbor and run the backside

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dcathey said:

We are a week away, i looked at the way too early forecast and it’s looking like east winds 10-15 the whole time we are there. Are the reefs enjoyable in an east wind like that out of a 22?

As long as you have a 8+ second period, it should be good.

Chuck  😁

May can grab some crabs to fish bahia honda, I think Capt Hooks and Big time near vaca cut have them at times.  The few years we went down we always found mullet in the canals or on flats.  The big harbor, sombrero maybe, near the start of 7 miles usually had mullet but its a grind to get a dozen.  Usually a mullet man down there that you might be able to buy a few from for the afternoons, it will be late when he calls and don't expect great quality after servicing his every day clients but its an option.  Also be careful with crabs in hot canal water, we killed all of ours one day stopping for lunch.  

I go down in June with the 22 Pathfinder, you can always find a bridge out of the wind but I'm further south around Big Pine.  Even in June there's still Tarpon around the bridges, not the big numbers that are there earlier but enough to make it worth your time. This year I hope to find some mangrove areas to fish on the gulf side. 

I didn't see any at seven mile last week but plenty at long key.  They only hit mullet there from my experience.  There are plenty of people there in those tiny flats boats so I would think a Pathfinder would be comfortable compared to that.  It's very difficult to keep mullet overnight so the best option is to get up at daybreak and throw a heavy cast net with a large opening so it sinks fast.  I did ok in the canals but it's hard where the water is very deep.  Caught two sharks in the net as well.  I never saw any on the flats or looked there much.

• Like 1

We had a blast down there despite the winds. Piddled around a rock pile on the bayside and caught a variety of small bottom fish. We tried crabs at various bridge pilings from knight key to Moser Channel with zero luck. Finally scored some mullet and caught a Goliath and jumped a tarpon yesterday morning. Left and went to lunch and hit the sandbar afterwards. I put some lines out there and jumped 2 more poons and had one get off about 8’ from the boat. He was on our last bait and my brother(who was the bachelor for the bachelor party) got to fight him in. Awesome trip with a great group of guys. 

57E09BBA-C1C6-427C-9C4C-7D98E90D47EA.jpeg

7C2876CA-E422-4E4F-A030-1C0FFF0F2A96.jpeg

563028C1-8A32-41F2-8405-30AF50AC0E65.jpeg

• Like 2