Jack Plate Switch Question

koondog

So I recently replaced my jack place switch that is mounted on the binnacle throttle. Pictured below.  I ran the wires like the old ones were along with the trim and tilt wire.  When i put it all back together and moved the throttle to make sure it was functioning properly ... it doesn't go into reverse normally.... sometimes it feels normal ... most times it feels like that trim and tilt wire in binding around the base of the throttle lever. (I took the cover off and moved the throttle and could see where the trim and tilt wire was bowing out when I would move the throttle in reverse)   Does this make sense ?  Has anyone else had this issue and have any recommendations? 

switch.jpg

Did you leave enough slack in the wires, so they are free to move? Can you see where anything is binding against each other? Can you look under the console to check for problems while operating the shifter? Not much help, but it's hard to diagnose while sitting in my recliner.

Did you screw it into the handle, cause I see the stainless screws? When I had mine on the throttle I had velcro and a tie strap to secure it to the handle. Maybe the screws going into it are affecting something. By the way mine was on the opposite side of the throttle so I could function it with my thumb just like the trim and tilt button.

5 hours ago, Purebred said:

Do you guys prefer this switch to a blinker switch on the wheel?

I like the blinker switch because I can trim with my right hand and run the jackplate up with my left hand.  Very helpful when the water gets skinny quickly.

15 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

I like the blinker switch because I can trim with my right hand and run the jackplate up with my left hand.  Very helpful when the water gets skinny quickly.

This!  The blinker switch makes for a very natural “feel” when working the jackplate height. Easy to trim engine and jackplate at the same time. 

I agree the blinker switch has some advantages.  Often times a shallow water start requires jack  plate up tabs down and motor trimmed in. It would be hard to do all three with one hand. If I had a choice of a second control on the throttle it would be the trim tabs.  I take my hands off the throttle to adjust the tabs far more than the jack plate.

As for the jack plate a nice trick is to use the port position for the extra trim switch on the motor  for the jack plate. Makes it nice to be able to work trim/tilt and jack plate from the back with the boat on the trailer.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, HewesYourDaddy said:

This!  The blinker switch makes for a very natural “feel” when working the jackplate height. Easy to trim engine and jackplate at the same time. 

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

I agree the blinker switch has some advantages.  Often times a shallow water start requires jack  plate up tabs down and motor trimmed in. It would be hard to do all three with one hand. If I had a choice of a second control on the throttle it would be the trim tabs.  I take my hands off the throttle to adjust the tabs far more than the jack plate.

As for the jack plate a nice trick is to use the port position for the extra trim switch on the motor  for the jack plate. Makes it nice to be able to work trim/tilt and jack plate from the back with the boat on the trailer.

THIS AND THIS.....

I had the blinker on my 2005 Pathy....all the above are the reasons...

dc

Archived