Good Vaca spot in FL for Fam and Fishing

rubble

Looking for a good place to take the family this summer during kid’s sports dead period. Frosh Daughter just wants to hang at the beach and relax for the week.  Sr son is game for anything but mostly wants to relax.  Wife and I like to roam around and check out shops and eat but I’m cool with just hanging out but would love to fish some. Could take my Pathy, just get a guide or buddy fish with anyone needing expenses paid (fuel, bait, food). 

Have thought about Keys, Pine Island/Cabbage key. Could stay with in-laws in Naples but prefer a condo, fishing cottage or vrbo.  Not looking to break the bank. Suggestions?

Is South Seas Boat friendly?  Anywhere to dock or park the boat?

Does that area get the summer storms every day like other places in FL?  Are there better times during the day to be on the water than others?  We would be targeting reds and snook so fishing flats, mangroves, docks, etc. 

it rains everyday on the gulf in the summer.  the later in the summer the more risk for red tide.  we went to Crystal River last year in mid July for 10 days and never put on sunscreen.  the sun literally never came out and poured rain almost the entire time.  

3 hours ago, rubble said:

Is South Seas Boat friendly?  Anywhere to dock or park the boat?

Does that area get the summer storms every day like other places in FL?  Are there better times during the day to be on the water than others?  We would be targeting reds and snook so fishing flats, mangroves, docks, etc. 

South seas is very boat friendly. Has a very good marina. Your type of fishing is only minutes away including located at a pass into the gulf where early morning snook fishing is great. Rains in the afternoons for a short time. Best time on the water is am or early evening. Can’t go wrong. Also lots of live bait most of time. Short distance to Boca Grande pass if tarpon fishing is also what you want. Flats, mangroves, pass, docks, flats. Has it all.

12 hours ago, fin-addict said:

I 3x that but could break the bank. Other places on the island to go but would love it there.

I have a week booked at South Seas in late June. I prefer to stay in what is called “The Harbourside Hotel” I get the Marina view suite. It is a little cheaper than the harbor view and I can see my boat from my room. The room has two King beds, perfect for my wife and I and two of our kids. Entire week including tax, resort fees, and dock fees, is $1,887.24. Certainly not chump change but I have a hard time booking a weeks vacation with my wife and kids for less, let alone a vacation as fun filled as it is there. Resort is great, fishing is great, beaches are great, and plenty of fun things to do with the boat other than fishing for the family. We love to go to cabbage key for lunch or North Captiva for lunch and ice cream. And the beaches on cayo costa are second to none. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, triplec said:

Looks like some changes coming for that area with the new regulations or extension of them.

JJL3WU7UZJAKRDSL7YSZPWFQ74.jpg

I am not surprised. Red tide did a number on that entire zone last year. All good with me I am pretty much a catch and release guy anyway these days. I would venture to guess that will be a short term restriction giving the fishery time to rebound from the red tide fish kill. 

Another choice on Captiva is Tween Waters resort. It is not as big or fancy as South Seas, but my family loves it and we have been staying there every summer for the last 15 - 20 years. They also have a marina with some slips to rent. What I really like is that they allow you to beach your boat (essentially 50 feet away from the slips) for free. Also, it is on the skinniest stretch of the island, so the distance from the beach to the bay is probably a couple hundred yards. 

Rubble! If you want to fish Sanibel and Captiva I suggest Jensen's Twin Palms Marina.  They can rent you a slip for your Pathfinder, rent you a boat, or find you a guide.  I am close to these guys and have fished the area for over 30 years. Their marina hasn't changed at all in the 30 plus years I have been hanging out there. Beware the red tide there and Lake O runoff virtually destroyed the SW FL estuary last year. It's rebounding now, but still has a LONG way to go. Another option is try us again here in the Gulf Breeze area. We have the best beaches anywhere, and downtown Pensacola is a gem for dining, walking around, etc. Hopefully the weather man will cooperate with you this trip. If you come here, I'll fish ya.  

On 5/3/2019 at 7:11 AM, Drummer said:

Rubble! If you want to fish Sanibel and Captiva I suggest Jensen's Twin Palms Marina.  They can rent you a slip for your Pathfinder, rent you a boat, or find you a guide.  I am close to these guys and have fished the area for over 30 years. Their marina hasn't changed at all in the 30 plus years I have been hanging out there. Beware the red tide there and Lake O runoff virtually destroyed the SW FL estuary last year. It's rebounding now, but still has a LONG way to go. Another option is try us again here in the Gulf Breeze area. We have the best beaches anywhere, and downtown Pensacola is a gem for dining, walking around, etc. Hopefully the weather man will cooperate with you this trip. If you come here, I'll fish ya.  

I'd love to head back to Pcola but I'm in search of that linesider.  Love to catch snook.  If I can find clean waters, that's my target.  I think I have run across Jensen's before when looking for a place to dock when RVing.  Just never made it there.  Looks like a great place and close to the action.  Thanks for the info.