LT20 repower 200 vs 150HP

Bever

I'm interested in your experience with repowering the LT20. Im replacing a 1995 200HP Yamaha Pro-v on my LT20. I have come across a 2003 Yamaha v-max. I enjoyed the 200 very much. im not in need of blazing speed but want to know if anyone thinks I will notice a big difference in hole shot and speed because of the HP difference. Im also interested in knowing who you all trust to buy used power from. thanks

I think it is good. I have never been on one powered by anything else, so I really do not have a reference point. Top speed I have achieved is between 50 and 51. That was by myself with about 1/2 tank of fuel, trimmed up, calm day, and probably the livewell full.

45mph w/o w/ fullish tank. one adult, one kid...

Max speed on most of the Freshwater up here is 45, so that keeps me out of speeding tickets.

I run her lightly, but no problem out of hole shot. 150hp precision blend (not Pro-v or v-max race motor). Cruises beautifully at 28-30. No trouble getting on plane or maintaining. One on plane, the hull just locks up nice with a little bow lift.

I want a 225 for mine, so I'm infected with the sepeed demons. If its just a family fishing boat, a 150 is plenty. A 150 vmax prob has a little more performance than my 150.

matt

Mine has a F150 on it. I have seen around 39 mph on my older garmin gps. I think I can get some more out of it once I get my prop fixed up as it is pretty dinged up from when I bought it. I knew it wasn't going to be a super fast boat but I do like the 4 stroke. It all depends on how you want to use the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

All in the prop. I'm still hitting over 50 mph with my 150 VMax (GPS). When it was fresh I got about 55 out of it. Both are one person and half to three quarter tank of fuel and probably pushing two hundred pounds of gear. Never been disappointed, although if ever needed I think I'd replace it with a 200. Rarely run more than 40 mph though due to weather.

• 4 months later...

Have run 150 & 200 on my boat. 150 was fine, 200 is better. Both were 2.5 liter block mercs, weigh the same, right around 400lbs.

I carry more tackle & stuff than a i probably should, 80 quart cooler and most of my compartments stay full and occasionally tube & wakeboard behind my rig too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have run a 150 Vpro Yamaha on mine for 15yrs and it is plenty fast and plenty of power. I get close to 50 with just myself and a full tank with 3 batteries and troller. My engine just crapped out and I will replace it with a F150 4 stroke. Will use about 50% less fuel at 4000RPM. I expect about the same performance.

• 8 months later...

Honestly I would just keep the Pro-V 200 on there till it gives you problems you can't easily fix. It's lighter and easier to work on than anything you're going to replace it with. It's a fairly bulletproof motor as well. I swapped out my old ProV for a VMax years ago and sometimes I really wish I had that old ProV back. It's getting harder to find the "light-ish": small block VMax 200's anymore as well.

-Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

The difference in fuel consumption between a 150 carb motor like my V-max pro and the 150 4 stroke is almost twice as much fuel at cruising speed.  My V-max pro was the hopped up version of that motor.,so it probably put out 175 hp in reality.  It sure sounded like a hot on take off.  Love the 4 stroke now for many reasons.

Archived