What size trolling motor for my Hewes Redfisher 18

Jorge there are many options here , just guessing for an 18' boat I'd say min 54" shaft and 70/80 Lbs Thrust 24 volt which will require 2 batteries and give a decent run time on the motor, I'm sure the folks running Redfish can provide more information, my only preference is a quick removable mount with the motor. There are loads of preferences between hand controlled, remote and foot controlled , the more options you add the cost goes up. 

1: Hand Control 2: Foot Control ( Cable Steer) 3: Remote Controlled ( Hand Held) 4: Foot Controlled Electronic 5:Salt Water For Sure not fresh water, 6:Remote Controlled with GPS Features like Spot Lock or electronic anchor and self stow and deploy and there are more than I've listed

I run 2 Minn Kotas 2300 60" Shaft 24Volt with I Pilot, Mud Boat Power Drive Electronic Foot Controlled  12Volt 50 or 55 Lbs Thrust , both with the quick release mounts ( One Battery for the motor in this boat weight can be an issue where I run) as you can tell I like Minn Kota 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, George Seither said:

Jorge there are many options here , just guessing for an 18' boat I'd say min 54" shaft and 70/80 Lbs Thrust 24 volt which will require 2 batteries and give a decent run time on the motor, I'm sure the folks running Redfish can provide more information, my only preference is a quick removable mount with the motor. There are loads of preferences between hand controlled, remote and foot controlled , the more options you add the cost goes up. 

1: Hand Control 2: Foot Control ( Cable Steer) 3: Remote Controlled ( Hand Held) 4: Foot Controlled Electronic 5:Salt Water For Sure not fresh water, 6:Remote Controlled with GPS Features like Spot Lock or electronic anchor and self stow and deploy and there are more than I've listed

I run 2 Minn Kotas 2300 60" Shaft 24Volt with I Pilot, Mud Boat Power Drive Electronic Foot Controlled  12Volt 50 or 55 Lbs Thrust , both with the quick release mounts ( One Battery for the motor in this boat weight can be an issue where I run) as you can tell I like Minn Kota 

Minn Kota is my first choice. Maybe a riptide 70 pounds with the remote control. Just want to make sure I have the right size. 

I ran a 70 Lb on a 21'8" bay for a long time 54" shaft worked well but if the wind gets to blowing it struggled a bit, The newer 70 and 80 lb units with I Pilot not I pilot link work well Spot lock will hold your boat in position if your on the fish, the 70 lb units with I Pilot can be had at a reasonable price, do you have room for two batteries in your boat or did the boat come with space for two trolling motor batts?? Next will be an onboard charger, get some of the folks with the Redfish Model to show you some different options on what they have installed 

On 4/19/2019 at 10:02 AM, Jorgerivadeneira said:

I have an 18 foot red fisher from 1997 And I am trying to get a trolling motor installed for it. I’m not sure what size shaft or what pound thrust to get, so I was wondering if any of you guys could help me Decide 

The basics:

2 series 27's AGM's - I prefer DEKA'sm= $400 plus / minus

In line fuse = $$50

IPilot MinnKotta - 80 lb min thrust = $ 1500 +/-

The Ulterra is a game changer and if you have a few extra $$$ - go for this one. = $2000 + / -

Wiring = $100 

overall about $3K for the entire system

Does not include install

dc