Best Charts for Garmin

Jorgerivadeneira

As i have stated once before, the FMT has a limited audience and it focused for the inshore fisherman.....For bottom sounder, years ago  I had a Furuno on my Pathfinder, along with my Garmin 3212, why, it was better for finding yellow tail off the reefs in the keys.

The FMT chip is another "helping" innovation for the shallow water fisherman.  Others have been, the Stick It Anchor when it first came out, then the Power Pole, the Talon, the Jackplate,  the Gulp brand of products, Rapala innovative lures, the breath like a fish shirts, Colombia SPF fabrics for the sun, braid line, etc. the list goes on.... 

Do you need any of these to catch fish?  Heck no...years ago, we'd throw on a T-shirt, some swim pants, a pair of zories, and pick up a 6500 Penn or a "DAM Quick" reel (not too many know of this one), some Ande 20 lb tournament, a red and white jig head, and you were catching snook off the jetty, or on a small boat we used around the inlets.....

Point is, it's another tool to keep you safe or expand your horizons.....If you feel you are OK with a Garmin...use it...but, like all hobbies, there are other alternatives or tools to enhance the experience.

dc

4 minutes ago, hurricane said:

This is totally the case, but when, who knows. Garmin bought Navionics, so something is gonna happen. They will make a great chart or keep others from using Navionics. Either way, they will not make a product with the features of FMT, it takes time on the water to do that. If trails and sat imagery is what you want, FMT the way to go.

Agreed, for now. 

The Ti2 for $1069.99 comes with the Navionics + chip which is the same as Garmin's pre-loaded maps. You can use that until you get the cash to buy the FMT. The standard loaded maps in Simrad and Lowrance stink they offer no detail.

1 hour ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

So I’m decided on a 9 or 12 inch. Has to be the GO series it the TI2. Everything else from Simrad Is out of my range. I’ll probably start out with the CMAP’s then get myself an FMT. you guys have been helpful. 

Jorge,

Look at the Lowrence systems...there is quite alot of info on why NOT to go with the GO systems.

If I did not get my Simrad EVO2 9" for a steal, I would have gone Lowrence.

dc

7 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

As i have stated once before, the FMT has a limited audience and it focused for the inshore fisherman.....For bottom sounder, years ago  I had a Furuno on my Pathfinder, along with my Garmin 3212, why, it was better for finding yellow tail off the reefs in the keys.

The FMT chip is another "helping" innovation for the shallow water fisherman.  Others have been, the Stick It Anchor when it first came out, then the Power Pole, the Talon, the Jackplate,  the Gulp brand of products, Rapala innovative lures, the breath like a fish shirts, Colombia SPF fabrics for the sun, braid line, etc. the list goes on.... 

Do you need any of these to catch fish?  Heck no...years ago, we'd throw on a T-shirt, some swim pants, a pair of zories, and pick up a 6500 Penn or a "DAM Quick" reel (not too many know of this one), some Ande 20 lb tournament, a red and white jig head, and you were catching snook off the jetty, or on a small boat we used around the inlets.....

Point is, it's another tool to keep you safe or expand your horizons.....If you feel you are OK with a Garmin...use it...but, like all hobbies, there are other alternatives or tools to enhance the experience.

dc

Yes some of us remember  and still have a "DAM Quick" reel.

Put it to bed many years ago still have it and believe it may still work.

57 minutes ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

Wouldn’t 2 be better 

I don't see why you would need another. I run the FMT in the slot I do not need to run any other chip. If I was not running FMT, I would be running Navionics+ chip instead only. You can also import info from a chip into the unit and it will store in its hard drive. Bottom line you only need one, I have no clue what else you want out of the unit. 

Don't worry bernieNC the OP will have the tides in the unit along with, currents, and the solar/ moon phase.

51 minutes ago, Coto said:

I don't see why you would need another. I run the FMT in the slot I do not need to run any other chip. If I was not running FMT, I would be running Navionics+ chip instead only. You can also import info from a chip into the unit and it will store in its hard drive. Bottom line you only need one, I have no clue what else you want out of the unit. 

Don't worry bernieNC the OP will have the tides in the unit along with, currents, and the solar/ moon phase.

These are just questions I’m asking. I hear different things from different people, and you guys just clarify them for me. I do appreciate it. 

Jorge

Like Coto I install my Nav Chip and leave it on both units I have, once you run your routs they'll store in the unit as a black route line as seen in the photo, the yellow lines are the low tide proven routs for the area I run around, once you start learning the area's you like to fish you probably won't be looking at the GPS that much, now if you can buddy up with someone who runs the area that your interested in I'm pretty sure you can down load there routs via Micro SD to your machine, On the unit I run in the mud boat it's primary use is early morning running in the fog, no transducer because of what we run thru.   

IMG_0868.JPG

16 hours ago, Coto said:

Not worried I have all that on GPS but do not look at tide, currents or moon phase when on the boat. I want to know those things before I leave the house.

Good evening everyone. Moderators and Administration have no issues with members debating the positives and negatives of various products on this forum. We draw the line if it becomes personal. If there is any evidence someone is being combative and/or disparaging, moderators and/or administration will take action. Being "PC" is not the issue. This forum was created so that members can ask questions, share information, and do it in a positive manner.  EVERYONE should feel comfortable when utilizing this forum and we will accept nothing less. Due to my career, I experience the worst of society on a daily basics. I for one utilize the forum due to the rules that curtail animosity!

MOD2 "Bubba"

7 hours ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

I might be asking TOO many questions 

Jorge,

Never too many questions...just some of the old salts here having some fun with a newbie....keep asking, you are here to learn and everyone is here to help answer questions....many of us know each other well having been on the forum and owned between 2-4 MHP boats.....I have been on the forum for over 16 years......so, the jabbing and jokes are part of the fun.....NEVER NEVER feel your questions are not correct if you are truly looking for understanding..... My advice, read, listen to others on Youtube, go to the west marine and other stores and study your decision.....overall, you are getting some good information.....

Enjoy and have fun here.....

dc

Wouldn’t 2 be better 

Yes. I think so. I too am like Headhunter and left Garmin for better mapping. I have no room for the 12 but went with the Lowrance Live 9 and FMT. Having just pulled off Garmin the Lowrance unit is extremely impressive. The FMT is excellent as well. Never seen anything like it honestly. My Lowrance has two micro SD slots. I prefer it. It gives me the option to run both FMT charts if Im traveling or when fishing home water I run FMT in upper slot and blank card in lower for screen shots. Those screen shots are phenomenal tools when pulled off side scan to study later. Didn't;t realize how much so until a friend of a friend sent one and after studying discovered it was a plane. Long story short it was WW 2 plane that went down on training mission and had never been found. Digressing but that's how I use my 2nd slot so Im a fan and new fan boy of Lowrance thus far but still learning it.

But that said...yep you can catch fish without a bottom machine or a trolling motor or gasp...a power pole... lol and out of a kayak but shoot... where's the fun in no Yamalube scenting up the morning air 😱The tech exists and I sure nuff like it. 😃😎

16 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Jorge,

Never too many questions...just some of the old salts here having some fun with a newbie....keep asking, you are here to learn and everyone is here to help answer questions....many of us know each other well having been on the forum and owned between 2-4 MHP boats.....I have been on the forum for over 16 years......so, the jabbing and jokes are part of the fun.....NEVER NEVER feel your questions are not correct if you are truly looking for understanding..... My advice, read, listen to others on Youtube, go to the west marine and other stores and study your decision.....overall, you are getting some good information.....

Enjoy and have fun here.....

dc

Thanks for the positivity man. I am new to the forum and a new Hewes owner too! extremely excited for whats to come!

11 hours ago, triplec said:

Yes. I think so. I too am like Headhunter and left Garmin for better mapping. I have no room for the 12 but went with the Lowrance Live 9 and FMT. Having just pulled off Garmin the Lowrance unit is extremely impressive. The FMT is excellent as well. Never seen anything like it honestly. My Lowrance has two micro SD slots. I prefer it. It gives me the option to run both FMT charts if Im traveling or when fishing home water I run FMT in upper slot and blank card in lower for screen shots. Those screen shots are phenomenal tools when pulled off side scan to study later. Didn't;t realize how much so until a friend of a friend sent one and after studying discovered it was a plane. Long story short it was WW 2 plane that went down on training mission and had never been found. Digressing but that's how I use my 2nd slot so Im a fan and new fan boy of Lowrance thus far but still learning it.

But that said...yep you can catch fish without a bottom machine or a trolling motor or gasp...a power pole... lol and out of a kayak but shoot... where's the fun in no Yamalube scenting up the morning air 😱The tech exists and I sure nuff like it. 😃😎

Cool story on the plane. Local?

Archived