Under Gunnel Carpet ?

So im soon going to be replacing the carpet under the gunnel on my Hewes as it is getting old and tearing apart. No idea what I am going to do though. Carpet-less, SeaDek, or just replace with new carpet. Anyone done anything cool and interesting to the under gunnel ? Just trying to get ideas. I was thinking just buying more carpet and cutting it to the fit. Would be cool to hear some of your opinions and ideas. 

I just did mine with seadek and really happy with it.  Getting the old glue off was a challenge but was solved using a heat gun.  If you go that route use the heat cautiously so you dont gouge the gel coat; just take your time.  Also if you keep an eye out for sales you can get a 39"x77" sheet for around $110. 

IMG_1723.JPG

21 minutes ago, Limitless said:

I just did mine with seadek and really happy with it.  Getting the old glue off was a challenge but was solved using a heat gun.  If you go that route use the heat cautiously so you dont gouge the gel coat; just take your time.  Also if you keep an eye out for sales you can get a 39"x77" sheet for around $110. 

IMG_1723.JPG

Did you have to remove the rod holders ? Or did you go around them 

I removed the rod holders  and used the old carpet as a pattern.  That let me cut the seadek exactly around the rod holders.  You could just take one off and use it as a pattern with some good measuring.  I was going to take them all off and just put the the new cover as a solid sheet, but I finally realized that I would never get the holders back in the original screw holes.

7 minutes ago, Limitless said:

I removed the rod holders  and used the old carpet as a pattern.  That let me cut the seadek exactly around the rod holders.  You could just take one off and use it as a pattern with some good measuring.  I was going to take them all off and just put the the new cover as a solid sheet, but I finally realized that I would never get the holders back in the original screw holes.

How was the gelcoat underneath the carpet ? Was it in good condition or did you see any Bad signs. Those carpets can hold moisture and what not and I wonder how mine could be under there. 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, Limitless said:

IMG_1723.JPG

039F0E3F-07FE-4C55-8E80-71E223F7D470.png

• 5 months later...