Poling platform transom screws

Does anyone know if the screws on the transom for the poling platform have nuts on the inside? I haven’t had the time to check and I was just wondering. My poling platform is a bit loose on the transom, and there is no way it can just be a screw going through the hull without the security of a nut. Also, should I reseal it with 5200 before tightening it back up again? So no water obviously intrudes. I would really appreciate anyone’s help. Thank you !

I will tell you the transom screws on the light tackle aren't bolted.  Mine leaked and almost sunk my boat.  They can be reached on the port side by cutting a round hole in the battery compartment.  I'm not sure about the starboard side.  It was hard for me to believe they had lag bolts.  My boat is a 20ft LT 1998.  The issue is the deck unit is one piece and put in place before the poling platform is installed.

10 minutes ago, polliwog said:

I will tell you the transom screws on the light tackle aren't bolted.  Mine leaked and almost sunk my boat.  They can be reached on the port side by cutting a round hole in the battery compartment.  I'm not sure about the starboard side.  It was hard for me to believe they had lag bolts.  My boat is a 20ft LT 1998.  The issue is the deck unit is one piece and put in place before the poling platform is installed.

I realized mine might not be bolted either. I think the platform is literally screwed onto the transom. Over time the holes widen from all the stress the platform receives. Then it causes the platform to come lose. I need to fix this. 

Just finish the discussion ,My boat yard did the fix on the port side,being careful to line up the hole with the platform holes.  Thru bolted using an extension socket with the proper bolts and nuts.  The other side was fixed with larger size lag screws and  3M 4200 adhesive and plenty of bedding compound between the platform leg and the transom.  Been perfect for 5yrs. Good luck.

Archived