Severe cavitation

Guest DavidG

Great news! Atsa way it oughta be all around, both on the boat and in the shop.

Dunno if it means a whooping thing, but the great techs at Ft. Myers Marine said I'd get peak performance with the same jack plate up about an inch on my identical boat with a Yamie 115 VMAX SHO and a 4-blade.

For frame of reference with yours and the 115F with a 3-blade, I'm not getting 47-48 mph until I hit 6k.

Brown Bear, Is your boat loaded at the time? Today I would have gotten a pic of gauges but was hanging on for dear life while the tech was driving lol. Sunday with the temp being 72 with no rain , I’ll be loading up for fishing and see what I’m getting with all the gear on it.And I’ll get a pic of the gauges. I will say on the very few times this boats been in the water, this is the BEST it’s ran and handled. All due to the transducer being mounted in the wrong spot. My last boat I bought New (2000) was a 24 foot deep V and the latest transducer then was about the size or smaller then a pack of cigarettes. This transducer is almost as long as a trim tab so I can see where the problem was. I’ll keep you posted.....David

3 hours ago, DavidG said:

Geeviam, just measured and it has a 5 1/2 inch setback.

That's the optimal size David. With the 1/2" thickness of the motor mounting plate added, it's a 6" setback. You've got a nice setup there. Glad to hear your new boat is performing like it should now. Now you can focus on more important things, like catching fish! Have fun!

12 hours ago, DavidG said:

Brown Bear, Is your boat loaded at the time?

That's with me (230#) and my wife (claims 150# and I ain't asking questions!), a full tank of gas, anchor, all standard safety gear and nothing close to 50# of tackle. The tech at FMM told me to set the jack plate 1" up, lift the trim tabs all the way up and start with the engine trimmed all the way down. Then take it up to full speed and start adding engine trim one little "knock" at a time on the trim button on the throttle. Kinda fun to watch as with about every other knock on the tilt/trim on the throttle the RPMs would go up a little and the speed with it. Started out with max RPM and engine all the way down at only about 5400 and speed not much over 40, but as the tilt increased and we started seeing a little rooster tail things really started to happen. Dunno enough about this kind of running to know how right that is, but if I feel like I need max speed (almost never) I'm reaching for that little tilt button. Most of the time we're only running at 30-35 and paying more attention to the water around us than trying to get anywhere faster or impress an audience with speed.

I’m in agreement with you about the speed issue, I’ve got a whole new respect for these professional boat racers. Secondly my wife will be kicking my A## if I open it up! I always start with the trim completely down, bracket all the way down and trim tabs up ( I’ve never used them to be honest) once I come up on plane, I start trimming up until it feels comfortable. Prior to the moving of the transducer, I couldn’t even barely touch the trim button and it would start cavitating with RPM climbing and speed coming down. As well as trying to make a turn was like turning a barge. This coming week the Temps will be in the 80 s on Tuesday and Wednesday so I’ll be out chasing the Reds and sheephead and I’ll take pics of the gauges as I open her up.( wife will be working ) I thought about your question last night about where the bracket is mounted. As I found out yesterday ( learned) I have a 6 inch set back on the bracket and I’ll enclose this morning a pic of where it sits in relation to the transom. I wish I had put the trolling motor on before the “ test run “ yesterday so I could see how the bow would react with the extra weight. I have 3 batteries in the console as well. The one thing that both the salesman (local boat Capt) as well as the tech advised, was to raise the bracket up enough so not to crush your steering. So I usually put the gauge shown to where the number 3 is showing. I’ll keep you posted!......David

A5DAFC91-0241-4CAD-944F-700E25917F8D.jpeg

D52DE4A5-0C2B-4971-80A5-C4E6F8BDF44D.jpeg

4096F49B-3C08-45CB-87D2-72F6DF870AC7.jpeg

Brown Bear, In the 2 nd pic you’ll see the gauge on the right and while sitting, I’ll lower the bracket until the 3 is level with the black molding on top of transom

BF679B9F-8E8B-4072-845B-2EDB1F59D3F1.jpeg

Glad you got it figured out David, I am also here in Jville so ill keep atlantic coast marine in mind if I ever need anything. I was searching through posts trying to decide if I should move my transducer down to the recessed step underneath and clearly from your post I am not moving it, I have a terrible rooster tail spray off my transducer and will just need to DIY myself a spray guard.

FSU, might try just changing the angle of the transducer. They have my transducer pushed so tightly against the transom you couldn’t slide a piece of paper between them. I have not noticed a rooster tail at all. I never realized the size of these new transducers and can see how they can disrupt the water flow. I seriously recommend Atlantic Coast! Their #1 priority is customer service!  Glad to hear your in Jax as well! Going to be a nice fishing week coming up!......David

Archived