Back in MBG Family with new boat

kawakibi

Sold my Gheenoe and I was between a Maverick & a Hewes Redfisher. Decided on the Redfisher since I really don’t pole the flats much. This is my 4th MBG boat (2-Pathfinders & a Cobia). Big thanks to Skip & the entire factory team that built a beautiful boat.

She’s getting fitted for a custom cover today & here is my list of expensive upgrades: 

Simrad NSS12 Evo3 with FMT

TotalScan Transducer

Minn Kota Riptide Terrova 80lb/24v - 60”

2-Group 27 AGM Batteries 

JL Media Master 50 + Amp (wife/sandbar)

2- JL 8.8” Speakers 

Looking forward to all the knowledge this forum has to offer. I’ll take all & any advice on my rigging, maintenance, etc...

Haze Grey Hull & Console

Whisper Grey Non-Skid

Custom Grey Cushions 

Yamaha 150

9F2EFF5E-2F66-492F-B581-BCC5FC27FC1B.jpeg

Original plan was to flush mount a 9" Garmin, even sent factory a B150M to install thru hull. Then as I read and researched more, everyone raving about FMT. So I decided to change and go with a 12" on top of the dash. The steering wheel looks in the line of site for a flush anyway.  So the boat has a extra Garmin transducer (resale value, lol).

I’d recommend adding a NMEA 2000 backbone in the console. I don’t know the Redfisher’s wiring, but assume you have a Command Link gauge on your dash.  If so, then with some pretty simple wiring, you can then connect the motor’s ECU data to your big display (I assume that’s what the Simrad unit is). This gives a lot more motor info on a bigger and easier to read screen. You can also add options like an AIS capable VHF radio or other NMEA 2000  compatible accessories. 

18 hours ago, Bruce J said:

I’d recommend adding a NMEA 2000 backbone in the console. I don’t know the Redfisher’s wiring, but assume you have a Command Link gauge on your dash.  If so, then with some pretty simple wiring, you can then connect the motor’s ECU data to your big display (I assume that’s what the Simrad unit is). This gives a lot more motor info on a bigger and easier to read screen. You can also add options like an AIS capable VHF radio or other NMEA 2000  compatible accessories. 

Thanks...yes, thats the plan. Also connects the JL head unit to the Simrad. If i could, I'd get an autopilot too. lol  

On 1/23/2019 at 8:27 AM, smilemaker said:

No reason to not use the  B150M.

Cables can be made to adapt the ends to work  with the  navico product. 

Transducers are like speakers, it does not matter about the amp you can make adapters.

Gemeco.com. no affiliation  just the first one pulled up

I asked Airmar this question and they said no for this model transducer. See response below. However, others have said yes it can be done. I just decided to go with the TotalScan on transom because at least that way I can use the down & side scans that the thru Hull would not offer. 

Good Day,

There are many cases where transducers can be adapted to fit different displays but unfortunately this is not one of them as the B150 is proprietary to the brand it was made for.  If you switch to Navico a new transducer will need to be installed.

Airmar Tech Support
Airmar Technology Corporation
35 Meadowbrook Drive
Milford, NH 03055
Phone: 603-673-9570
Fax: 603-673-4624

On 1/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, kawakibi said:

More pics ... 

B22D0F14-589A-4EA6-BF17-DC8836FF4706.jpeg

2F7C0D55-2AE3-4E4D-8631-8CB1C488AE52.jpeg

87D16423-E526-42E1-8FF8-3DEA15F84A5A.jpeg

very nice....You'll be happy you mounted on top....when using the FMT chart, you need to be constantly changing the zoom on the knob when running tight in the backcountry or entering a river on the low tide.....on the top is a good postion vs on the dash IMHO.

dc

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 18’ in build now, like the selections on yours. I’m still on the fence of using a Lowrance or paying more for a Simrad, did you just get the 3 n 1 transducer? Does your JL run through the Simrad? Can the trolling motor batteries fit in the center console? Thanks for all the great pics! Helps!

8 hours ago, Buddy73 said:

I have the 18’ in build now, like the selections on yours. I’m still on the fence of using a Lowrance or paying more for a Simrad, did you just get the 3 n 1 transducer? Does your JL run through the Simrad? Can the trolling motor batteries fit in the center console? Thanks for all the great pics! Helps!

TotalScan is 3 in 1 transducer.

Yes, I have the NMEA connected and I can see the JL & Engine on Simrad

Yes, all 3-batteries can go in center console. But, If you get a 150HP, you'll want that extra weight up front.

Good luck and congrats on the new boat.

Archived