New to the RF Family

Buddy73

Looking to buy an 18’ RF for the first time. Are there better year hull design to target? Noticed the newer ones relocated the gas tank for better weight distribution. Anything I need to consider would be greatly appreciated. Moving over from the Pathy family! Thanks in advance.

Hello Buddy

I bought a new 2017 with a 150 SHO back in April. I can say that the gas tank is forward in mine and with this engine it definitely needs to be forward especially if you’re using the wells. I also have 3 batteries in the console. I really like the power with the 150. The Redfisher is a great fishing platform and you can make long runs on it. I fished a two day tournament this summer and ran over 100 miles each day. 

I really have mixed emotions about this boat. Performance wise it’s awesome. I downsized from a 2300 HPS and I have enjoyed the smaller footprint it takes up in my barn, much easier to clean and much easier to maintain. That said, I miss the room, storage and stability of the bigger boat. My wife loved my 22 Tournament and my 23 HPS but she doesn’t care much for the Redfisher and didnt want me to buy it. Now she and my daughter  are pushing me to look for another 22 or 23. If you have any specific questions I’ll be glad to help if I can.....Rob

Rob, thanks for the info! I have the same issue, I might have my 24 T sold this week and looking to downsize to the 18 RF, I know I will enjoy the easier maintenance, but my wife is totally against it, she wants something with cushions and a back rest! We aren’t using the 24 T enough to justify keeping it and it’s a 2007, want to get something newer. I was looking at buying a used hull but reading all the sagging with the 150 on the back which I would want to go with as well. I know I need the extra power as I’m 6’4” 250, if I get two other Bubba’s on the boat 115 ain’t going to cut it. Do you know what year they moved the gas tank forward? My other concern is possibly putting two poles on the back, I’m afraid the extra weight would really make it sag. You think putting two poles is overkill for the 18’? Thanks for the advice. 

Buddy,

I have a 2016 RF, and love it. Downsized from a bay boat, and I’ll never go back. I have a 115 SHO, and with both wells full, full tank of gas, full cooler, and two, 250 lb , 6’ 3” guys on it (me and my brother ) she’ll run 42 - 45 mph, no problem. I,ve got Seat cushions and a back rest as well. Opted to skip the second Power Pole, and went with a Motor Guide Xi5 with GPS Lock. Boat sticks like glue, even in the wind. Not sure how fast you wanna go, but at 56 years old, 40 - 45 is fast enough for me, and the draft is less.

I’m just saying........

I gotta say the poling platform on ours is a mile high, compared to what I'm used to. I'm too old and clumsy to be up there, so I had a removable sissy bar installed.  All fixed, but I made one mistake on that. If it was just an inch shorter, I could flip it upside down and remount it to keep on the boat all the time. As it is, I have to think ahead whether I might need it, or leave it home and wish I had it.

Otherwise I gotta say our 18 with the 115 SHO does everything we need it to do and then some.

I love my 07'. While it has a few things I would change, shifting the console forward a few inches so I can stand up when needed and have enough room in between and the squat, it does everything I want it to do. To me it rides like a larger boat, comfortable and very stable! I do however miss my 2 smoker! The F115 has just enough umph, but running a tourney with the wells full and 2 people tends to be under powered.  I will be looking for re-power in a couple more years, but am still stuck on what motor I want. 

Moved down from a 23HPS as well. Mine has the 150 SHO. It definitely squats in the back but performance wise, I like it. Definitely have to use the tabs. Went out to 60 ft of water Sunday off of Charleston for some bottom fishing with 3 total adults. I little crowded (definitely miss the room in the Pathy), but this boat is so much easier to deal with for a senior citizen like me.  Only burned 10 gallons of gas. I will say this is the most solid feeling boat I've owned.  It's a good 2 person boat.  It came with the poling platform, but I'll never get up there on that thing. I keep my landing net secured to it...Lol.

Thanks to all that replied, getting me excited to find my RF! Looks like the 150 is not a necessity but maybe a desire coming from a 250 on my PF. Also realize that 2 poles aren’t needed on the RF with the weight of the boat being lighter, which is easy for the GPS lock to keep on point. Great feed back! 

10 hours ago, Buddy73 said:

Looks like the 150 is not a necessity but maybe a desire coming from a 250 on my PF. Also realize that 2 poles aren’t needed on the RF with the weight of the boat being lighter, which is easy for the GPS lock to keep on point. Great feed back! 

I was prepared to put a 150 on our RF18, but the fine folks at Ft. Myers Marine steered me away, even if it made a smaller sale for them. They said they just didn't like the way it handled. Our 115 WHO does everything we could want with a stainless 4-blade prop.  I agree about 2 poles.  One is just dandy along with the GPS lock.  Of course there was NO question of putting a second one on ours, because my wife wanted a swim step on the port side, or as she calls it, a PP or  PPP..  It's her pee platform, or maybe peepee platform. :D

5 hours ago, BrownBear said:

I was prepared to put a 150 on our RF18, but the fine folks at Ft. Myers Marine steered me away, even if it made a smaller sale for them. They said they just didn't like the way it handled.

JMO, but I would want the 150 SHO, if I had a late model RF 18.  If someone has a problem with the handling of the RF 18 running a F150, I would like to hear their reaction after a Bob's TrueTracker stabilizer plate was installed on the motor, along with a good bow-lifting prop.  I'll bet they would change their tune!

7 hours ago, geeviam said:

JMO, but I would want the 150 SHO, if I had a late model RF 18.  If someone has a problem with the handling of the RF 18 running a F150, I would like to hear their reaction after a Bob's TrueTracker stabilizer plate was installed on the motor, along with a good bow-lifting prop.  I'll bet they would change their tune!

You ought to drop down to FMM and take it up with them.  I'm sure they'd love a reason to sell larger. 

6 hours ago, BrownBear said:

You ought to drop down to FMM and take it up with them.  I'm sure they'd love a reason to sell larger. 

I'm sure FMM has good reasons why they advised otherwise.  IMO, the Yamaha F115 is the best motor for a Maverick HPX 18.  However, the RF 18 is 600 LBS heavier than the HPX 18, so the F150 would be my choice on the RF 18.  Along with that, I believe the BMS TrueTracker is a must-have add-on for the RF 16 and RF 18, to improve the ride and handling, when they are equipped with heavier 4-strokes at the maximum hp rating.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:41 AM, BrownBear said:

I was prepared to put a 150 on our RF18, but the fine folks at Ft. Myers Marine steered me away, even if it made a smaller sale for them. They said they just didn't like the way it handled. Our 115 WHO does everything we could want with a stainless 4-blade prop.  I agree about 2 poles.  One is just dandy along with the GPS lock.  Of course there was NO question of putting a second one on ours, because my wife wanted a swim step on the port side, or as she calls it, a PP or  PPP..  It's her pee platform, or maybe peepee platform. :D

Not to hijack this thread, but could you give me some more information on the swim platform? I too am considering a second PP, but now I'm thinking a swim platform may be the way to go instead. Thanks in advance.

Action Welding in Cape Coral fabricated it for me, and it's super. Starboard side has a "hand grip" or rail welded a little up the leg of the poling platform, and extending back to the outer starboard corner. Port side has a matching rail that's deck mounted and extends to the back of the port side.  Front edge is tied to a 2-piece bracket on the transom, 2-piece to clear either side of the trim tab piston. All powder coated white to match the rest of the hardware. He also attached a fold-down telescoping ladder for better access from the water. Looks clean and couldn't be sweeter for my wife above water or anyone getting out of the water.

If you're close to Cape Coral, check in with them. If not I can photograph it for you to show your own fabricator.

EDIT:  Just went back to his site and there's a bunch of photos of different options in his gallery. Mine's not there, but it's in a league with the others. You'll sure see the quality of his work in those photos.

Wow! thanks so much!...It looks great. I talked to the folks and my polling platform is gloss black powder coat, so they can build and install in a day, but the powder coating takes 1 week because they send it off and never know what day during that week the color "black" will be on the powder coat schedule. I think I may just have the standard non powder coat made and not tie it in to the poling platform.  Thanks again.

Had the same experience when getting our white version powder coated. Sensational coating job and worth waiting for, but still a wait.

Forgot to tell you the other name for that platform:  Trim Tab Saver.  We back into a local beach and anchor bow-out.  Every single person climbing back into our boat wanted to use the tab for a step.... No, no, no, no!!!!  :S  But it never did any good to tell them.

I have a 2001 RF 18 and absolutely love it, I've got a 115 yamaha four stroke which is fine but eventually i will repower with a 150 sho. I am young and want to go fast and like others say I'm 200lbs and fish with two buddies who are 200+ and could use the extra horsepower sometimes. Cant go wrong with a RF 18, i love the back step some of you had welded on im sure my girl would appreciate a step to climb in from scalloping or swimming.

Archived