Tampa Bay gags on fire

pondfisher

5 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Wish it would lay down a little to get offshore. Between inshore trips on the good weather days and the wind I have yet to do the shallow water grouper thing this fall.

Nice gags there for sure!

It was super rough out there Troy. We took big swells over the stern and bow all day long - not the kind of fishing everyone would want to deal with. And 15-20 on the wind. Just brutal.  I need a MA 21 bad! 😉

5 hours ago, mulligan said:

If it was only that easy.

Nice meat in the box.

Thanks Rick. Admittedly, it's not that easy. Getting the bait is a given... finding the right reef or piling can be challenging.  Me and John Guiseppi (skiffin16) have been at it for years so we've developed a pretty good game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Darn nice Gags Pondfisher. How is skiffing 16 doing? Haven't heard from him in a long time. 

Thanks!

John still has his Redfisher, just doesn’t use it as much. He turned his attention to photo and painting/drawing which were also hobbies of his. His photos have actually earned him some local and national attention in the past few years. His Instagram handle is Guissepi Art In Nature. Phenomenal stuff he’s doing.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:14 PM, DonV said:

Not too much Tampa Bay grouper fishing today. winds all day over 30 mph,  gusts around 45+ and waves 6' to 8'!  Ugly, ugly day!!

What's with this El Nino thing anyway?

We went out yesterday and it was a mistake. 4-6 ft rollers and 20 knot gusts. Was just brutal. Ended up putting two fish in the box but at a high cost. In my friend’s 22’ Sea Fox bay boat and still got beat up. 

On 12/28/2018 at 5:03 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Man, you got um dialed in. That's my favorite way to fish. It's like wrestling an alligator for the first 30 seconds. Just two more days, then we'll have to wait till June. 

Went yesterday on my buddy’s 22’ Sea Fox. PERFECT weather. Slow bite. Two big fish got picked off by hovering, lazy, need to get a job, welfare dolphin.  I HATE THEM!!! One was gagzilla and almost had him to the boat before dolphin picked it off clean. Two nice fat fish stolen by dolphins. This didn’t used to be a problem. I think the dolphin tourist boats have changed things because they feed those mofos. They are a nuisance around the Skyway pilings.... similar to offshore guides trying to keep their clients’ catches away from Goliaths. They steal so many of our hard earned gags. It’s heartbreaking, honestly.

These 4 fish were all we could put on ice during two days digging at the bridge. A very disappointing end of season. ☹️

CB1875BD-3596-4353-ADC0-86CC6A7A4FC1.png

F845F29B-FACE-4A40-B895-4E369DE1BE9C.png

60EAA5B4-DBF4-429F-B94B-E78CE766BA85.png

Yep, I know what you mean about those free-loading dolphins. I had one try to snatch a small grouper that I had reeled up about 20 ft. behind my boat. Somehow that dolphin got hooked and immediately pulled me off the floor and onto the rear casting deck. My boat and motor was almost brand new and I was using a brand new rod. I didn't want to scratch my new motor with the rod eyes, so I kept the rod turned to the side. That allowed just enough give that he didn't immediately brake the line (100 lb. test Power Pro). While in my knees and elbows, I was fighting with everything I had, not to get pulled into the water. The dolphin was fighting so hard, he threw water all over me and the boat. I managed to work my way over to one side of the motor, then pointed the rod straight at that POS fish stealer. A couple seconds later and the line broke. I lost skin on both knees and elbows, but I didn't scratch my motor or brake my rod. So, I know exactly how you feel about the dolphins that someone has trained to take a free meal. 

Well, at least you didn't get skunked. I can see some tasty Grouper sandwiches in your future.  

On 12/31/2018 at 3:59 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Yep, I know what you mean about those free-loading dolphins. I had one try to snatch a small grouper that I had reeled up about 20 ft. behind my boat. Somehow that dolphin got hooked and immediately pulled me off the floor and onto the rear casting deck. My boat and motor was almost brand new and I was using a brand new rod. I didn't want to scratch my new motor with the rod eyes, so I kept the rod turned to the side. That allowed just enough give that he didn't immediately brake the line (100 lb. test Power Pro). While in my knees and elbows, I was fighting with everything I had, not to get pulled into the water. The dolphin was fighting so hard, he threw water all over me and the boat. I managed to work my way over to one side of the motor, then pointed the rod straight at that POS fish stealer. A couple seconds later and the line broke. I lost skin on both knees and elbows, but I didn't scratch my motor or brake my rod. So, I know exactly how you feel about the dolphins that someone has trained to take a free meal. 

Well, at least you didn't get skunked. I can see some tasty Grouper sandwiches in your future.  

Maybe there should be a dolphin season. $100 tag, one per year. 😉

Archived