17' Maverick MA prop suggestion

Marlinsurfteam

I recently purchased a 2003 17' Maverick MA with a 4 stroke Yamaha 115. Current prop is a Power Tech YM90RED3R16P. Boat does not have a jack plate and motor is mounted at lowest setting on transom. WOT is 6000rpm @40mph. Usually no more than 2 adults on boat. I have 3 batteries ( 1 in stern and 2 in console). Plan on adding a bow mount trolling motor. On the hole shot, I have to adjust the trim tabs down and I also get a lot of cavitation on sharp turns. I've added a Bob's Machine Shop Stabilizer plate and that has greatly improved the hole shot while making some improvement on the cavitation in sharp turns. Looking for suggestions on props and also interested to know whether or not a 3 or 4 blade prop is better for a flats boat.

22 hours ago, geeviam said:

Similar here.  No response to a PM on this board.

Call him directly...they are in Lousiana...PTProps.com I think?

A

On 9/3/2018 at 9:43 AM, Marlinsurfteam said:

I recently purchased a 2003 17' Maverick MA with a 4 stroke Yamaha 115. Current prop is a Power Tech YM90RED3R16P. Boat does not have a jack plate and motor is mounted at lowest setting on transom. WOT is 6000rpm @40mph. Usually no more than 2 adults on boat. I have 3 batteries ( 1 in stern and 2 in console). Plan on adding a bow mount trolling motor. On the hole shot, I have to adjust the trim tabs down and I also get a lot of cavitation on sharp turns. I've added a Bob's Machine Shop Stabilizer plate and that has greatly improved the hole shot while making some improvement on the cavitation in sharp turns. Looking for suggestions on props and also interested to know whether or not a 3 or 4 blade prop is better for a flats boat.

I have a 17MA 1995 with a 1995 115HP two smoker...I have a 4 blade from Pt...I went down to 15 Pitch if I remember correctly with the 4 blade...4 blade is definately better with a JP 

My max speed light load is about 37 mph at 5500 rpms....hole shot very good, no JP

dc

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Marlinsurfteam said:

I run a 2000 Mav 17 MA with a Merc 115 Pro XS,  prop is a Turning Point 14.5 x 19 / 4 blade... My motor turns at 6150 RPM (Mfg. max RPM is 6300) and alone with full fuel I am just touching 49 MPH... boats jumps up very well, and I also use my trim tabs to accelerate the hole shot … Obviously drop off with additional people is there and I think the overall weight on our boats is about the same, setups sound the same...  good luck!

21 minutes ago, DaveC said:

I run a 2000 Mav 17 MA with a Merc 115 Pro XS,  prop is a Turning Point 14.5 x 19 / 4 blade... My motor turns at 6150 RPM (Mfg. max RPM is 6300) and alone with full fuel I am just touching 49 MPH... boats jumps up very well, and I also use my trim tabs to accelerate the hole shot … Obviously drop off with additional people is there and I think the overall weight on our boats is about the same, setups sound the same...  good luck!

DaveC, that's a pretty big prop to twist with a 115 four stroke.  Great top speed too!  Does your motor have the Command Thrust 2.38:1 gear case?

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, dabear said:

Wow a 2.38 lower unit gear ratio turning a 19 pitch prop 6150 RPM running a speed 49 MPH that’s off the charts amazing MPH for that combo !  Off the charts !   Got to be one of the best running 17 MA out there .  

I like it a lot, it does run good and it turns well and it doesn't blowing out,  IMO it's not great speed... I really was hoping for low 50's?  But high 40's is really just right for that hull and for me!

Let me also mention, after I posted I looked at my notes (on the boat in E-City...) and it was just at 48 rather than 49, sorry to misrepresent that, made a mistake...?

Archived