FWC makes Snook and Redfish catch and release only.

Davej

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

(Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.)

Aug. 30, 2018

redfish snook EO map

FWC makes snook, redfish temporarily catch-and-release only in areas affected by red tide

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has temporarily made snook and redfish catch-and-release only from the northernmost point of Anna Maria Island in Manatee County to Gordon Pass in Collier County. This was done through an Executive Order in response to the naturally-occurring red tide bloom in southwest Florida and is in effect until the next FWC Commission meeting, which starts Sept. 26.

“I support Executive Director Eric Sutton’s decision to implement the Executive Order as we continue to manage this world-class fishery for future generations,” said FWC Chairman Bo Rivard. “We will continue working with our partners and will evaluate next steps at our Commission meeting the end of September.”

Sutton has spent significant time in the areas most impacted by naturally-occurring red tide. He and staff will continue to work with local communities and partners as the FWC manages this issue to ensure recovery of the fisheries.

“We’ve seen the devastation to the redfish and snook populations in southwest Florida, and we support the catch-and-release initiative taken by FWC,” said Brian Gorski, Executive Director of Coastal Conservation Association Florida. “In working with the FWC on this initiative, we’ve heard support from members and guides throughout the state who also understand the need for such a change, to ensure that generations to come can enjoy the thrill of catching one of these iconic species.”

The FWC thanks Gov. Rick Scott for his continual leadership and proactive response during this time. FWC staff will continue working with partners moving forward, including local governments and stakeholders.

Regulations outside of those counties remain unchanged, including the Sept. 1 snook season opening that occurs in other Gulf and Atlantic state waters.

For more information, visit MyFWC.com and click on "About," then "Executive Orders," or click here

Bookmark and Share

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Logo

QUESTIONS? Contact the FWC

STAY CONNECTED:
Visit us on Facebook Visit us on Twitter instagram logo Visit us on Flickr youtube logo pinterest logo Sign up for email updates

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
Subscriber Preferences: Unsubscribe, Add/delete topics, modify your password or email address. Use your email address to log in.

Localize your news: Go to Subscriber Preferences, click "Questions" and select your region(s) of interest.

Help: For assistance with your login or subscription service.

This email was sent to dbjohnson381@yahoo.com using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission · 620 S. Meridian Street · Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600 · (850) 488-4676

GovDelivery logo

• 4 months later...

It's pretty close to a sure bet that we eat more fish than anyone you've heard of. Haven't had the pleasure of trying either, and probably never will. But that's cuzz we have so much else to choose from that we like.  If a guy didn't like anything else or couldn't get near anything else, I'm not going to begrudge him a few meals. But if it's going into the dumpster after freezer-burning for a year in his freezer, I got a problem with him.

I don't have a problem with people who keep a few fish here and there for a meal for a family but some of the pictures I see are disgraceful.  The offshore people never let anything go, stacks of wahoo and huge coolers of everything else.  I've seen pictures of the inshore people in Louisiana filling the boat up the trout you cant even see the cockpit floor.  It's disgraceful. 

Archived