Best Yamaha 2 stroke oil?

Nolezone

17 hours ago, DonV said:

Shane FWIW, my Mercury mechanic told me, when I had Mercury's, the Mercury dfi oil you mentioned is formulated for high pressure "direct fuel injection" engines, such as Opti-max. The Ouicksilver premium plus is a TC-W3 oil more suited for efi (electric fuel injection, not direct), carburetor engines, mixed oil. etc. I had one of each kind of Merc at the same time and I just went with the Amsoil HP and ran the crap out of them. Shoot It might all be "hocus pocus" marketing as far as I know!! 

However I do know the "premium" oils at West Marine are WAY overpriced!!!

The DFI oil is for the regular optimaxes because they would foul plugs after extended idling (offshore boats, etc). All of the mercury racing optimaxes actually specify premium plus oil over the dfi oil. This is because it provides better high rpm protection and they don't expect you to do extended idling. If I idle more than 10 minutes my opti (racing 300xs) will puff some smoke on takeoff. 

If I had a regular opti and didn't do extended idling id probably run premium plus for the added protection. Just my opinion. 

Furthermore, if you premix, you do NOT run dfi oil. It is not meant to be mixed. Agreed on the West Marine pricing!! :S

I may have posted this before but,  the company I drive for we were hauling oil out of the Shell refinery in Granite city Il. It was two stroke oil and 6500 gallons per load. I would take it to either Indianapolis In. or St Rose La. to a processor. They would make several brands of two stroke oil. The only difference was the blends that each customer required, mostly the color! They all basically had the same types of additives. I was told by an operator that each brand has it's own "recipe". 

bottom line as I see it, the big name brands are basically all the same. Except price!LOL

Every drop of gasoline that comes into the state is ethanol free. The only difference is the octane ratings. they are all separated. The ethanol is splashed(metered) in to the truck as it is loaded. the amount depends on the customer but it is normally 6-8%. As the gas and ethanol are loaded the additives are also splashed in, all depending on the customer. Exxon brand gets it's additives, Chevron theirs etc. Unbranded gas stations normally just get the ethanol.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:22 AM, hurricane said:

Because I have seen the left overs that oil leaves behind, in the cylinders and attached to the spark plug. But like Mulligan says, its your boat do as you choose. I've never heard anyone blame a certain type of oil as the cause of motor failure as long as it meets specs.

Good info....my issue as you and Mulligan stated, it works...If I were to change from the current OEM, and  were to have a major failure in my engine, I would not be able to diagnosis if it was the oil change as a result or it just plain died..either way, I"d have a fried engine....but, at least I'd know that it wasn't because I change my oil brand.... ;)

When I had my F115 and F150...I would religously change it out every 100 hrs or less...and it was Yamalube 4S...

DC

13 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Good info....my issue as you and Mulligan stated, it works...If I were to change from the current OEM, and  were to have a major failure in my engine, I would not be able to diagnosis if it was the oil change as a result or it just plain died..either way, I"d have a fried engine....but, at least I'd know that it wasn't because I change my oil brand.... ;)

When I had my F115 and F150...I would religously change it out every 100 hrs or less...and it was Yamalube 4S...

DC

If Pennzoil and Amsoil fried engines there would be a lot of talk of it on here.  Just sayin'

9 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

If Pennzoil and Amsoil fried engines there would be a lot of talk of it on here.  Just sayin'

Agreed.....

9 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

but, at least I'd know that it wasn't because I change my oil brand.... ;)

Lap it Up:

The smirk at the end was meant to be sarcasm.....

Plus, I like giving more money to Yamaha :)

DC

On 8/18/2018 at 10:22 AM, hurricane said:

Because I have seen the left overs that oil leaves behind, in the cylinders and attached to the spark plug. But like Mulligan says, its your boat do as you choose. I've never heard anyone blame a certain type of oil as the cause of motor failure as long as it meets specs.

I think that's why ring free was pushed so hard. It cleaned up all that crud from the yamalube.

3 hours ago, J.N said:

I think that's why ring free was pushed so hard. It cleaned up all that crud from the yamalube.

Now that you mention that, my yamadog dealer mechanic is always pushing me to buy the ring free, which i do and add every tankful religously....he did mention it helps with carbon build up....i understand it's a similiar additive to what's in Chevron's Techtron fuel ???  

Hmmmm....create a 2 stroke oil you recommend to use as OEM that has inherent carbon build up...then sell a little bottle of magic juice @ $25/pint to clean it up.....Japanese engineers seem to be really smart....sort of like Xerox, give you the machine for almost free and then charge you over market price for the paper and the copies that run through it :)

DC

6 hours ago, J.N said:

Makes perfect business sense 

My buddy was Yamaha mech turned guide so helped with my motors on occasion for beers but no need to push anything on me. Said he didn’t favor any oil but swore by ringfree. Said if I could see the internals of the ones that used it vs didn’t I’d be sold too. I just took his word for it and use it even now in my merc 4s.  Cheap enough off amazon.  

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Hmmmm....create a 2 stroke oil you recommend to use as OEM that has inherent carbon build up...then sell a little bottle of magic juice @ $25/pint to clean it up.....

Well said Dino, this is where they get you by the short hairs!!! The Amsoil HP and the Evinrude XD100 are the "top of the line" synthetic oils and it's the XD100 that Amsoil uses in it's comparison tests. The Evinrudes can use the "lean setting" for XD100 which is like 100/1. My brother's brand new G2 250 HO hardly uses any oil, amazing.

https://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g2968.pdf 

12 hours ago, J.N said:

I just re stocked up on Amsoil HP marine and I'm wondering if the ring free is even needed with a full synthetic? 

I can not say as I did not see the motor apart maybe Mdemott can confirm as he had the 115 I had rebuilt.  On the c115 I had I ran Amsoil and real gas with nothing else added to it.  From what I hear the motor was clean on the inside when it was rebuilt and the heads were clean when I pulled them off to clean the water jackets.

3 hours ago, fsusteve said:

I still run ring free even with amsoil, the quality of gasoline in itself can cause carbon buildup on the cylinder skirts and rings, not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

Same here. I need this old motor to last until I can buy a new 250 pro sx 4 stroke or SHO

IMG_20180822_173459.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, mulligan said:

I can not say as I did not see the motor apart maybe Mdemott can confirm as he had the 115 I had rebuilt.  On the c115 I had I ran Amsoil and real gas with nothing else added to it.  From what I hear the motor was clean on the inside when it was rebuilt and the heads were clean when I pulled them off to clean the water jackets.

I don't remember the number of hours on that motor when I bought it but when we tore it down for rebuild it was very clean. Piston tops were not showing carbon buildup and rings were clean. The motor failed due to a retaining pin, not degraded oil. When we goy it back from the builder, I used Amsoil to break it in at 100 to 1. It smoked a little during break in but after that period I ran the normal formula and other than a small wisp of smoke at start up it was very clean.  I sold the boat a few years back and the new owner has called me on a few occasions to ask about some mods. I made to it. He tells me he hasn't touched the engine except for maintenance and to replace a starter. 

Archived