Venice in Late Sept

rubble

Looks like I may be heading back to Venice for some redfishing.  We were run out by the hurricane last year so hope to make up for some lost days. Any recommendations on where/how to fish the area would be great. Last year we mostly fished jigs with swim baits/paddle tails.  Also used some gulp in a few spits that were productive. Just looked for moving water in the river channels. We never made it to the flats or to the rigs due to the wind. 

amazing place to fish. around the grass and channels going into the marsh i like spinnerbaits with a gulp shrimp on it. offshore around the close rigs, we use dead shrimp on the bottom with great results. shrimp are hard to keep alive because of all the fresh water around Venice Marina and Cypress Cove.

• 1 month later...

I've been told that everyone there uses "market shrimp" (dead shrimp) purchased at the marina.  Hang 'em off of a popping cork and limit out by lunch is the word around the floating houses.   We may try that but would prefer throwing artificial.   Gulp. Cocahoe paddle tails, spinnerbait, etc.  

Are there any places you might be able to steer us to?  Not honey hole locations but just some spots to try?  I'd like to get in an area where we can see the fish tailing to show my buddies what it's like.  Was told that Yankee and Fleur Ponds are good.  Don't know where to go in there or what type of depth it is.  We will be in a Ranger Bay which probably has a draft of about 18 inches or more.  

Someone mentioned the Wagon Wheel area.  Would like to hit Joseph Bayou and the areas around Dennis Pass but again not sure how to get boat in there.  Was told that those areas would hold some numbers.

i'll try to give directions as best as i can. we usually run out Beniveau(sp?) Pass(about 2 miles down river from Venice on the left. there will be three big white tanks there that are visible on google earth) to the gulf and hook a left and go back into Octave Pass. there's a maze of channels and sloughs back there holding redfish. also when you come out of Beneveau Pass, the coast line holds fish, so don't over look that. when we run west, we go with a local guy and i never know where we are, except that he likes to fish the old pilings along the coast and the near rigs offshore. hope this helps.

Arrived at Venice Marina on Friday morning. Water is way up and muddy. We ran to the Southwest Pass to see if we could find some clean (sweet) water. We have been on a school of Bull Reds for 3 days. I could give details but there are probably very few people who would believe it.  Maybe those who have been here and experienced it. We can’t buy a slot red. Everything is 28” and above. We are throwing back 20, 30 and 40 pound reds. We rolled in on a spot this morning just after daylight. Dropped our Hbird 360. Spotted a few fish. Hit the spot lock and didnt move for 6 hours. It was like catching crappie at the Big O for 6 hours. We have 2 in one boat and 3 in another. Have had 4 hooked up at once. First day we had a sixth man and we had 5 hooked up at once. Epic trip. Will post photos when I can get a good signal or wi-fi. 

• 5 months later...

Think about this trip often.  Just crazy how many fish we got into.  Big Fish.  I put together a video.  A little long.  Not edited just clips from some of video taken so that we could look back and dream we are back in that happy place.  Here is a link.  Just 4 dudes from KY(in one boat and 2 in another) stepping outside our comfort zone at the end of the SW Pass.  One guys first trip in the Salt for Reds.  Two others their second trip to Venice and same for Redfish.  Some will notice the spot.  Quite obvious if you are ever in the SW Pass. The fish moved all over the pass.  Inside and out.  We just looked for them on our 360 and would sling some jigs at them.  What a trip.  Oh, and the last clip is just a little moment with two old farts seeing if we could still do young guy stuff.  Always good for a laugh.  Enjoy

Archived