2003 2200v Delamination

johnnyr55

Hello Forum,

Just picked up a 2200v 2003 Model with vmax 200hp on it.  Overall seemed to be in good shape at least in my opinion.  Had it for about 3 months and all has been well when i notice today a big piece of gelcoat and some fiberglass apparently missing from the bottom and the fiberglass the chine sits on appears to be loose.  Looks like a repair job or mfg defect but the fiberglass doesn't appear to have bonded to the shell.  Either way i wanted to know if anyone has had the issue and the extent of what could happen if it is a defect.  I don't see anyone complaining about this issue but thought i would try my luck.  I like the boat and its not too bad to fix my self with a glass guy but I don't want to fix one spot and it happen again in another etc.  I have attached some photos.  I do power load the boat and i did notice my last load the carpet on the bunks are a little loose on the very back most section but the biggest section is not even near the bunk.  I fish the shallows mostly however the ground I fish in flamingo is extremely soft and I haven't even gone skinny yet as i have been doing maintenance on the motor and checking over the boat making sure all works.  I have not grounded the boat at all and most of the time I am chasing snook and near docks.  I suspect the pieces ripped off during a run at high speed as I never saw fiberglass at the ramp loading or anything.  I fish at night so i did not notice when i sprayed the boat the night before so I am not sure when it happened.  You can see a clear line where the chine runs that is loose.  I can move it very easily like its not bonded.  The biggest pain is reproducing that line in its position..  Fun stuff.  If anyone has hear of this issue let me know looking for any known issues on the 2200v.  The pics are of the rear starboard side of the boat - damage goes to the axles but not past.  Tks.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

I am not an old timer with the Pathfinders. But I have not heard or seen anything like that.  I don’t think that this is a known manufacturing issue.  This almost has to be a one off defect or a previous repair.  I would certainly involve a professional glass man.  Just my .02 worth.

• Sad 1

interesting.  A pro glass guy said its probably delam possibly from the factory - no indications of previous repair.  Insurance doesn't delamination at least mine doesn't.  Guess i will grind it down and get to work.  No way to flip it over so should be fun trying to glass it upside down..  :)

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2018 at 5:52 PM, johnnyr55 said:

interesting.  A pro glass guy said its probably delam possibly from the factory - no indications of previous repair.  Insurance doesn't delamination at least mine doesn't.  Guess i will grind it down and get to work.  No way to flip it over so should be fun trying to glass it upside down..  :)

No way I would trust the bonds and gel coat for that size repair doing it without flipping. I spent all day Sunday repairing  gel coat voids and scrapes on the keel of my 22 te. It wasn’t easy, and was much more simple then full glass repair

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah understood.  Talked to the folks at Maverick and they offered to fix it at a reduced price (very reasonable).  I just dropped it off with them to have them assess it.  Took a tour and all and I will say that I am impressed with the customer service thus far.  Factory is a sight to see.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, JEM said:

I am not an old timer with the Pathfinders. But I have not heard or seen anything like that.  I don’t think that this is a known manufacturing issue.  This almost has to be a one off defect or a previous repair.  I would certainly involve a professional glass man.  Just my .02 worth.

x2, looks like a repair gone bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I’ve seen this a couple of times on those boats. Could start either from a small fracture and peeled during a high speed run, or a crack developing from a flexing bottom cracking at a stringer, then peeling. If you’re looking one for sale, bang on the bottom with your fist, and see if it feels solid.

Now I’ve got a question. Has anyone pulled the cap off an old 17 Pathfinder tunnel? We’ve got one that the stringers have all broken loose, and it would be easiest to repair if the cap was completely off.

Mike LaSarge, Fiber-Plastics Inc Mobile, AL