Looking to possibly upgrade

Naples Maverick

Have a 2007 Tailfisher that's in great shape.  Looking at and HPX-S both have Yamaha 70 4 stroke.  The tailfisher can get some spray and drifts some. I really like it and it's in great shape.  I may have a pretty good opportunity. The HPX-S is a 2018.  The engine on my tailfisher is a 2016 with 130 hrs.  Does the Hpx-S handle better.  I know you'll get some spray and that's the trade off with a technical skiff, is there less on the Maverick? Any insights appreaciated - Thanks

The Maverick will be a MUCH better ride. It is actually a very dry ride for its size. Arguably one of the best riding flat bottom skiffs out. The bow entry slices through the chop. The cap extends a lot further out than the hull which really helps to stay dry.

The S and the HPX-V are two very different boats.  You really need to "drive" the S, and it might not be as versatile as the V.  The V will be better in choppy water, and probably a little more stable.  But if you want a technical polling skiff to fish really skinny water, the S is a terrific skiff.  

I think he is comparing the HPX- S to the tailfisher, I don't think he's considering the V.  I think you will see improvements in stealth, dryness and ride, but probable gonna give up a little on stability at rest going to the Maverick.. 

Talk to DonH on the forum ...the S's are tippy....if you are young and agile...no big deal...but, realize they do not sit as stable as a "v" or the Tailfisher you currently have....

Not sure i would trade up to an S from a Tailfisher....as they are similar in draft, etc...maybe a bit less beating in a chop with the "S"....but not much...and it willl pole better...

If you are looking at an 18-V, whole different story.

dc

Archived