2000 MA Repair Thread - Stringer issue

whichwaysup

Its a great question, Hurricane.   I shopped this job around to a ton of local shops - NOBODY would take it on because nobody, myself included, knew at the time what the whole issue was, how far up the stringer it went, or what caused it.   Nobody (and I dont blame them) wanted to open pandoras box and realize it was a 20k job, or an impossible job.   Nobody could come up with a good way of opening her up without potentially destroying the boat (full cap removal) or destroying functional portions like livewells etc and not being able to access them to put them back together.   

These guys looked at the boat and told me point blank what the risks were and were honest enough to say that if it was a worst case scenario (full cap off resoration) it was out of their league.   Too much involved in one project.    

At the end of the day, although he went awol on me, the first shop ended up serving me well.  He came up with the best solution for getting in therr (cutting the deck just aft of the cockpit), and he helped me get a clear picture on what we were actually dealing with.  Once pandoras box was opened and the bogeyman exposed, everyone knew what they were dealing with.   

But these guys at Current Marine have really impressed me.  They are frank, honest, communicate constantly, and have done great work so far.   

• Like 3

Gus, the work that's been done looks top-notch, and there's no doubt from what I see, that your boat is going to better and stronger than it was when it was new.  I'm not even comfortable suggesting something that would cause you to reach for your wallet again, after all you've done so far - but I'll say it anyway... Looking at your trailer, when you posted pictures of the hub upgrades, I noticed there are only two bunks under the stringers and no support near the keel.  It might be a good idea to add either some keel rollers (good) or carpeted bunks (best), for better support and weight/stress distribution on your beautiful "new" hull.  I tow my boat on rough, country back-roads, to the lakes up here in Upstate SC, so I may be overly cautious about that sort of thing.  Just my two cents.  Happy for you, that you will be on the water, running your dream boat again, pretty soon!

Gary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geeviam said:

Gus, the work that's been done looks top-notch, and there's no doubt from what I see, that your boat is going to better and stronger than it was when it was new.  I'm not even comfortable suggesting something that would cause you to reach for your wallet again, after all you've done so far - but I'll say it anyway... Looking at your trailer, when you posted pictures of the hub upgrades, I noticed there are only two bunks under the stringers and no support near the keel.  It might be a good idea to add either some keel rollers (good) or carpeted bunks (best), for better support and weight/stress distribution on your beautiful "new" hull.  I tow my boat on rough, country back-roads, to the lakes up here in Upstate SC, so I may be overly cautious about that sort of thing.  Just my two cents.  Happy for you, that you will be on the water, running your dream boat again, pretty soon!

Gary

Gary - funny you should mention that - I was actually considering the same thing.   I'd like to get front bunks for more support and something more in the back.   The ramp I primarily use is only 5 min from the house, but I often take 2+ hour trips up to the Pamlico.   After all this work, I intend to cradle this baby.

• Like 1

More pics from this a.m..   We are making final fittings of the deck with the rod tubes in place and the livewell drains in.   We are going to have to put an inch deep notch in the portion of the stringer we extended for the livewell drain to fit, but it will be in the portion that is actually a composite gussett that connects to the knee, so we arent compromising strength.   

I have broken this second job (topside) up into four phases to help them (and I) stay organized.  We are officially through phase 1 - Which was to prep the hull for reassembly.   The next phase will be re-rigging, replumbing, re-attaching existing wiring.   Phase 3 will include all things required to reattach deck, and phase 4 will be final rigging and getting the boat water ready.    

Here are a few pics from this a.m..   You can see the challenge with the live well drain, and the dryfit of the rod tubes.  

20190222_091143.jpg

20190222_091451.jpg

20190222_091354.jpg

20190222_090011.jpg

tabbing being set up for the deck reinforcement.  Using Coosa with multiple layers of glass.  Once these are fit properly on this side, the real fun begins.  We can access the underside of the deck through the rod locker, an access plate I had previously put in on the port side of the dry storage box, and the bottom of the dry storage box.   

46246.jpeg

46240.jpeg

46244.jpeg

46242.jpeg

On 2/20/2019 at 9:45 AM, whichwaysup said:

And a few pics of the bottom.  I will be polishibg and rewaxing the entire area and will have a chance to see how well it blends, but I cant tell where the work was done when I look, so I am optimistic.

20190220_085835.jpg

20190220_085838.jpg

20190220_085844.jpg

20190220_085846.jpg

just curious but did they change the 21MA bottom after this was i thought they had a running pad and i don’t see one in these pictures? 

18 hours ago, hurricane said:

That's a great idea, tabs. How do they plan to seem or join the hatch liner? They are plastic and not glass, right?

They are going to use the same material/resin that the factory uses to attach them to the cap.   He told me what it was, but I can't remember.   It bonds to plastic extremely well and is what we used to repair the baitwell (on both top and bottom).   That dry storage hatch obviously doesn't require a lot of strength, but the baitwell obviously does.   I think the baitwell is about 3x stronger than it was new now!!

• Like 2

No work today - The building that the shop is in took some hurricane damage and the building owner is finally getting around to fixing it.  All boats had to be moved out last night so they could spray insulation.   Everything should be done today and boats moved back in.    I got a chance to slip up there yesterday and see the work that was done over the weekend.   The deck is fully fitted and the two halves of the deck are flush at the seam, which is pretty impressive considering the amount of change that has happened underneath and the fact that they have been separated for over a year now.     You can see the position and fit of some of the various plumbing elements.   Oh, and the pic of the boat up on stands reminds me why I'm going through all of this.  When she gets done, I've got all of the stuff to give her a major polish and make her shine like new.   

20190225_160022.jpg

13 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

No work today - The building that the shop is in took some hurricane damage and the building owner is finally getting around to fixing it.  All boats had to be moved out last night so they could spray insulation.   Everything should be done today and boats moved back in.    I got a chance to slip up there yesterday and see the work that was done over the weekend.   The deck is fully fitted and the two halves of the deck are flush at the seam, which is pretty impressive considering the amount of change that has happened underneath and the fact that they have been separated for over a year now.     You can see the position and fit of some of the various plumbing elements.   Oh, and the pic of the boat up on stands reminds me why I'm going through all of this.  When she gets done, I've got all of the stuff to give her a major polish and make her shine like new.   

20190225_160022.jpg

Great looking boat!  Such beautiful lines!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues.  The bracing for the deck is now fully secured and ready for the cap.  A lot of tedios work to get it to align perfectly, so very slow progress to get it exactly right.  Plumbing and equipment purchased and ready to go in.  Once we get past this part, things will speed up again, but glad to see he is taking his time fitting and refitting to make sure the deck goes on right.   

Pics aren't all that interesting this time, but show the bracing fully attached now (previous pics were just screwed on for test fits). 

47238.jpeg

47240.jpeg

47241.jpeg

47416.jpeg

47418.jpeg

47421.jpeg

• Like 1

A few more updates:  

1) Bilge repainted and gelcoated

2) rear rod tubes are reinstalled - I tried absolutely everywhere to find new pvc, but that thin-walled 1.5"diameter pipe is a unicorn, so the old ones are going back in.  The wood block in the pic is just a temporary brace while the epoxy dries.

3)  Plumbing starts tomorrow

4)Deck is positioned to be put into place, we are literally "close".  He has it rigged so it will be a one man job to get on there.  

My kids are getting excited.  walked into my office and found this note on my door.   Me too, Gabe, me too. . . .

47517.jpeg

47520.jpeg

47552.jpeg

47554.jpeg

47556.jpeg

20190321_124449.jpg

• Like 2