2000 MA Repair Thread - Stringer issue

whichwaysup

16 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

I THINK I remember the max WOT on those ox66 at 5500. You should be able to bump up pitch and add cup and still get in the 5300-5500 range.

thats what I expected it to be but fairly certain I found a bulletin that said 6k, which surprised me.  Of 55k, I need to back off a bit, thpugh I dont run WOT much anyway.

What year and model is your 150 . Yamaha went up and down on the 150’s between 5500:& 6000 max depending on model and year . Pretty sure the HPDI was 5500 max . I definitely wouldn’t turn a twenty year old motor past the factory max RPM . Don’t think I would run it long periods of time at max . 

It is either a 2000 or a 2001.   The serial number is visible, but the tag on the other side of the engine that has the code is not legible.   It was sold to me as a 2001, but so was the boat.   Turns out the hull was a 2000, so I am thinking the engine may be a 2000 also.   It is NOT an HPDI, though.   

I had a chance to get a range of RPM and speed points - it is running about 4K RPM off of square, so:

3400 RPM = 31 MPH

4400 RPM = 40 MPH

5000 RPM = 46 MPH

5500 RPM = 49 MPH

5800 RPM = 51/52 MPH

She porpoises a bit under 4K RPM, but a touch of tabs resolves that.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 4:23 PM, whichwaysup said:

It is a three blade Stiletto.   The prop shop measured it after re-aligning the blades and it is 19.2 pitch and 14.5 diameter.    When he first did the measurements, the blade pitch ranged from 19.49 to 18.96 and he evened it out to 19.2.   At the time, I couldn't remember the RPM vs. speed, I was just trying to get it straightened out while waiting for the boat to be finished.   

I am getting some blowout in (sharp) turns and I think I'm hitting the rev limiter at WOT.  I've never been able to confirm the max RPM on an 01 Vmax 150.   I'm thinking a little bit of cupping might give me a little more bite and help in the turns.   Low priority, but I'd like to get back to the mid 50 range that I used to see vs. the 50-52 range I'm seeing now.   Is it worth $150 to do it, probably not, but it bugs me.   

Gus, if it bugs you, do it!!! I would.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:34 AM, RacerxV6 said:

Gus, if it bugs you, do it!!! I would.

X2.  I have heard great things about what Jack Foreman in Texas can do with a prop that needs grip.  I would see if he's not too busy to tweak your prop Gus.  Some more grip and lift would probably help with porpoising too.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, whichwaysup said:

It is either a 2000 or a 2001.   The serial number is visible, but the tag on the other side of the engine that has the code is not legible.   It was sold to me as a 2001, but so was the boat.   Turns out the hull was a 2000, so I am thinking the engine may be a 2000 also.   It is NOT an HPDI, though.   

I had a chance to get a range of RPM and speed points - it is running about 4K RPM off of square, so:

3400 RPM = 31 MPH

4400 RPM = 40 MPH

5000 RPM = 46 MPH

5500 RPM = 49 MPH

5800 RPM = 51/52 MPH

She porpoises a bit under 4K RPM, but a touch of tabs resolves that.    

Found this.  Maybe it will help Gus.  From what I gather, your maximum recommended RPM is 5500.

https://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propellers/rpm-range/?make=Yamaha

Missed my November 2021 update, but figured this was as good a place as any to keep the maintenance log up to date:

Since the last update:

1) Installed a Power Pole (November 2021 ish) - that also involved taking off and resealing the engine bolts for the bracket.

2)  Rewired trailer, replaced lights (Dec 2021)

3) 100 Hour service (April 2022) - new filters, new plugs, new impeller, new lower unit fluid, full inspection.   Mechanic gave her an A+, water jackets were clean, everything looked great.   

4)  New trim/tilt seals (April 2022) - finally no more screeching hydraulics

Still need to:

1) Have prop adjusted and cupped to be a little more aggressive

2)   Replace carpet under starboard gunnel

3)  Fix gremlin in bow nav lights (grr, always something)

4)  Extend extra (centering) bunks to stern

• 5 months later...

Well here we are again.  Its been 3 years since I got her back and every November I do a thorough inspection of the hull and repaired areas for any sign of trouble and post it here as part of the saga.

Once again, she passed inspection with flying colors.  We rebuilt her better than the original design, so I have no reason to worry, but that was a long two years and I have come to believe that an annual inspection is probably wise on any boat.  In any case, it brings a smile to my face to see what amazing shape she is in.  

Since last year, she has had the following upgrades:

- new power pole

- new garmin electronics and livescope system

- complete compound/polish/ waxing on the hull

4AAC01B6-0F57-498E-BF1E-E824BE676C42.jpeg

0069B71A-8377-47D6-95F8-EC6B8392D089.jpeg

1F0BE136-A9AF-4803-857D-2AC59B82581C.jpeg

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, it's November again.   I bought this boat in November of 2016.   In November of 2017, I discovered the crack under the stringer.   In November 2018, I picked the boat up half-done from the first shop.   In November of 2019, I picked up the boat from the second shop, completely refurbed and ready to go.  Every November since, I've used the month to inspect, fix, improve, or repair it and get it back to its perfect state.   

This November was a doozy.   Seems like 4 years is when electrical elements and marine environments realize they just don't get along.   Over the past year, I've had an increasing number of gremlins show up.   A live well pump stopped working, a switch went bad, my green bow light started flickering, my red bow light was dim, my stern light stopped working, my recirc pump on my baitwell died, my trailer guide posts rusted out and broke off, taking a tail light and my license plate with them.   My GPS was cutting in and out from voltage fluctuations on the fuse panel.  My TM broke a collar in the steering housing.   Even my Ipilot AND my Power pole remotes died on me.   It was death by a thousand nicks, and all happening in the course of 365 days.   I knew November was coming, so I patched jerry rigged, and struggled through.   

I've spent about 2 weeks and countless hard earned dollars to put her back together.   As of right now, every light, every switch, every pump, every trailer light - it all works.   There's not a single thing on the boat that isn't working like new.  So, for posterity's sake, here's the list of work completed this November.

Boat work

- Replaced both PP and I-Pilot remotes

- Ran dedicated power wire from battery to Garmin, bypassing the fuse box (uses an inline fuse)

- Replaced live well switch 

- Replaced Re-circ pump on bait well and fixed broken wire at switch

- Replaced stern light wire running through poling platform leg and ran a pull line for future needs

- Replaced steering box on I-Pilot

- Cleaned up/organized wiring, labeled wires in console

- Cleaned up wiring in stern battery box

- Inspected hull repair from 2017 - still in perfect shape, no issues

Trailer work:

- Replaced both trailer bearing/hub assemblies

- Purchased new spare tire

- Installed new trailer guide posts with aluminum (vs. galvanized steel) brackets and lights

- Fixed marker light

- Replaced trailer winch strap

Up next:

- Replace carpet under starboard gunnel

- replace all bunks and hardware

- Have prop reworked/cupped

• Like 2