Jump to content

2000 MA Repair Thread - Stringer issue


whichwaysup
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well, hopefully the last post on this thread.    I will probably update the opening post with a synopsis of how this all ended and what I found out along the way.    

 

Took her out this a.m. for the first "offishal" saltwater fishing trip.    Had my buddy join me in his boat as an insurance policy since I was going to run a decent distance.   Between his boat and mine, I managed to get three of my five kids out.    #4 was also begging to go, but he is a bit young for 5 a.m. wake ups AND school.   

 

Boat ran exceptionally well.   Reworking the prop seems to have improved my grip in turns, but I have lost a little on the top end.   51 MPH at 6k rpm with two kids a full tank of gas, and two full livewells (forgot to unplug em!!l).   I need to move my xducers up, I am getting a decent spray up the transom, but was pleased.  We probably added 10-20lbs or more to the stern in materials, but man she felt solid.    

Oh, we caught a few trout too, but mostly harrassed the lizard and bluefish populations.  Apparently they missed me.

Got a few small projects for her for this year, but if things continue to go well with her, I suspect there will be a powerpole or two in her future next year.   

 

It is hard to describe what its like seeing her in my driveway again, like nothing ever happened.    What a long, strange trip its been . . .

20191105_072516.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just thought I'd update this thread - it's been just over a year since I got her back.   There were a lot of dark days in this journey, and people who know the story often ask me if it was worth it.    

Absolutely no question.   I couldn't have imagined how much happiness a boat could provide.   I'd have to check the number of hours I've put on her since I've had her back, but I am still amazed at the ride this boat delivers.   I cross some big water and run long distances, and even at high speeds, this thing rides like it's on a cushion.   Since I got her back, I have:

1) Replaced the rims and tires  - Feb 2020

2) Added a rear keel roller to the trailer to provide more support while trailering  - Mar 2020

3)  Re-sealed the lower unit - April 2020

4)  Replaced impeller/water pump, seals, etc. April 2020

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Another 6 months out and I decided to give her a good inspection after my last trip.   She's been run just about every week, often 2-3 times a week when weather and schedule permits, and lately I've been trailering her 2.5 hours northeast of here and then taking her across a lot of wild water.   If anything wasn't right, it was going to start to show.   

I'm happy to report that she still looks as good as the day I brought her back from the shop.   No cracking in the gelcoat, all of the repairs inside are clean and solid.   I think I'm going to have the prop tuned a bit more to see if I can get my 2-3 MPH back.   

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, lurem said:

That is great news!! 

Side question...what prop are you currently running and what are you thinking of having done to it?

It is a three blade Stiletto.   The prop shop measured it after re-aligning the blades and it is 19.2 pitch and 14.5 diameter.    When he first did the measurements, the blade pitch ranged from 19.49 to 18.96 and he evened it out to 19.2.   At the time, I couldn't remember the RPM vs. speed, I was just trying to get it straightened out while waiting for the boat to be finished.   

I am getting some blowout in (sharp) turns and I think I'm hitting the rev limiter at WOT.  I've never been able to confirm the max RPM on an 01 Vmax 150.   I'm thinking a little bit of cupping might give me a little more bite and help in the turns.   Low priority, but I'd like to get back to the mid 50 range that I used to see vs. the 50-52 range I'm seeing now.   Is it worth $150 to do it, probably not, but it bugs me.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lurem said:

What do you think the RPM range is on yours? What RPM's are you seeing at those speeds?

Yes, it is worth it to get it dialed in!

I am hitting 5900 even WOT an 52mph in no current no wind 2 guys no bait so thinking thats a limiter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

I am hitting 5900 even WOT an 52mph in no current no wind 2 guys no bait so thinking thats a limiter. 

I THINK I remember the max WOT on those ox66 at 5500. You should be able to bump up pitch and add cup and still get in the 5300-5500 range.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...