Lower Sugarloaf Key - Navigating & Bridge Clearances

dcathey

Anyone ever boated around this area? I might be able to get in on a trip and didn’t know if my boat could make it under the bridges. I’ve got a second station and I can’t find any numbers for bridge heights to be able to get out of the sound where the house is. If we can’t access the house by boat is it a pain to launch and trailer at the ramp everyday? 

https://earth.app.goo.gl/dJiPC

• 2 weeks later...

I was unable to view your link. Hot Spot Chart # 208 has the information you need. I imagine most published charts have it as well. Most of the bridges in that area have a vertical clearance between 5 and 8 feet. You are going to need a chart.

• 1 year later...

8 feet is just about the max. I can get my TRS 2200 with a Bimini top up under the bridge just north of the sugarloaf marina but all other underpasses require the top down from there down to shark key. The marina has a ramp for the gulf side and there is a ramp on shark key for the ocean side. 

Looking at the spot you dropped on google earth there it looks like Baypoint. As some of the others have said Bridge heights in that area are around 8ft and from Baypoint you can't really get anywhere without going under a bridge unfortunately. However as BKH just posted there is a marina in sugarloaf on the gulf side that you can launch from, last i checked it was about 10 bucks a pop to use, and also one in shark key and a little further in key haven as well on the ocean side that you don't have bridges to contend with however both of those ramps (ocean side) have no onsite parking which can be a pain. People do park on the side of the road though and I've never seen or heard of anyone getting tickets. There is also another ramp a little further up on the gulf side in Cudjoe off of blimp road but it can be pretty shallow on a low tide depending on what kind of boat you have. (I have a 22TRS and have no problems even on dead low tide) As far as ramps go though the FWC app does a pretty good job of listing them. 

Archived