big ones

Capt. Troy

14 minutes ago, pondfisher said:

Love that fatty trout!  Guess I need to go fish some old haunts. I promise to stay within 100 yards of you. :D

No worries. I had plenty of company all week. The place is really taking a beating. Too many people and too many guides. I.m really working hard to catch quality fish. As for quantity, there are just not that many fish around. I have fished from Dunedin to Hudson the past week on the new moon and Have seen 2 red fish in about 40 hours on the water. Same reports from some of the other long time guides as well.

When the FWC did away with the annual trout closure and upped the redfish to 2 per person in the NW region the bottom started to fall out. They have since changed the reds back to 1. Too little to late. There are a lot of people fishing 7 days a week. All the retirees in the area that are fishing LIC. exempt are out there and not being counted. Trust me, there are a ton of them. I saw close to at least 100 trout cleaned right there at Miss Vickis in one afternoon by the old man Carolina skiff crowd. They put 4 on board and come back with 16 trout every day when them fish get on the spoil islands. Some of the newbie and older guides are running 2 trips a day and killing limits on every trip. There are also some guides counting themselves into the limit. It should be illegal like it is offshore and for snook.

Yesterday I counted 16 guide boats between Anclote and Dunedin catching bait. Those are just the ones I saw.o.O 

Sounds Like I need to attend the next FWC meeting and stir the pot.

Sorry, rant over.:D

28 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

No worries. I had plenty of company all week. The place is really taking a beating. Too many people and too many guides. I.m really working hard to catch quality fish. As for quantity, there are just not that many fish around. I have fished from Dunedin to Hudson the past week on the new moon and Have seen 2 red fish in about 40 hours on the water. Same reports from some of the other long time guides as well.

When the FWC did away with the annual trout closure and upped the redfish to 2 per person in the NW region the bottom started to fall out. They have since changed the reds back to 1. Too little to late. There are a lot of people fishing 7 days a week. All the retirees in the area that are fishing LIC. exempt are out there and not being counted. Trust me, there are a ton of them. I saw close to at least 100 trout cleaned right there at Miss Vickis in one afternoon by the old man Carolina skiff crowd. They put 4 on board and come back with 16 trout every day when them fish get on the spoil islands. Some of the newbie and older guides are running 2 trips a day and killing limits on every trip. There are also some guides counting themselves into the limit. It should be illegal like it is offshore and for snook.

Yesterday I counted 16 guide boats between Anclote and Dunedin catching bait. Those are just the ones I saw.o.O 

Sounds Like I need to attend the next FWC meeting and stir the pot.

Sorry, rant over.:D

Wow, that is hard to read.  Those poor spoil island trout have been getting hammered for so long now.  I can't even imagine what it's become.  Reminds me of why I don't launch over there anymore (in addition to that insane ramp). Oh well, guess I'll stick to the bay. Just miss my old stomping grounds.

Nice work Troy!  I was able to get out a couple weeks ago and did not fair well.  I was only able to find fish unwilling to eat.

1 hour ago, pondfisher said:

Reminds me of why I don't launch over there anymore (in addition to that insane ramp).

I hardly ever put out at Anclote.  A couple weeks ago I figured it was not "season" yet and since it is so close I would give it a shot.  Put in and all is good, main parking lot was maybe 1/4-1/3 full as I got a later start because I had to go to work for a bit first thing in the AM.  I wrapped it up early afternoon and upon coming back to the ramp the overflow lot was almost full! 

4 minutes ago, mulligan said:

Nice work Troy!  I was able to get out a couple weeks ago and did not fair well.  I was only able to find fish unwilling to eat.

I hardly ever put out at Anclote.  A couple weeks ago I figured it was not "season" yet and since it is so close I would give it a shot.  Put in and all is good, main parking lot was maybe 1/4-1/3 full as I got a later start because I had to go to work for a bit first thing in the AM.  I wrapped it up early afternoon and upon coming back to the ramp the overflow lot was almost full! 

It's kind of a Catch-22 because yeah, we have those beautiful barrier islands within minutes of the ramp, but they are part of the reason that ramp/river/intracoastal area is such a mess.  A huge number of the boats I see launch at Anclote don't have a rod holder on the boat and headed directly to N. Anclote Key Sandbar, Anclote Key, S. Anclote Key Sandbar, or 3-Rooker Bar.  And of course add in about 100 plus jet skis to that mix.  And then the other group are anglers both seasoned and new all trying to get to the same spots.  It's just chaos.

About 8 years ago I got into an argument with a guy (and his very loud, drunk wife and drunk older kids) about how you can't park your boat perpendicular to the floating docks - because it blocks others from getting in parallel to the docks, obviously.  Long story short, the guy follows me and my buddy all the way to US 19 and Tarpon Springs Road and forces us into the gas station there and approaches my truck, banging on my windshield.  He wanted a fight badly.  To defuse the issue I simply told him I was sorry, my fault, etc., and that was what it took for him to walk away.  Who knows what would have happened should I have argued back. It was something I'll never forget. And I have plenty of other similar stories.

5 hours ago, pondfisher said:

It's kind of a Catch-22 because yeah, we have those beautiful barrier islands within minutes of the ramp, but they are part of the reason that ramp/river/intracoastal area is such a mess.  A huge number of the boats I see launch at Anclote don't have a rod holder on the boat and headed directly to N. Anclote Key Sandbar, Anclote Key, S. Anclote Key Sandbar, or 3-Rooker Bar.  And of course add in about 100 plus jet skis to that mix.  And then the other group are anglers both seasoned and new all trying to get to the same spots.  It's just chaos.

About 8 years ago I got into an argument with a guy (and his very loud, drunk wife and drunk older kids) about how you can't park your boat perpendicular to the floating docks - because it blocks others from getting in parallel to the docks, obviously.  Long story short, the guy follows me and my buddy all the way to US 19 and Tarpon Springs Road and forces us into the gas station there and approaches my truck, banging on my windshield.  He wanted a fight badly.  To defuse the issue I simply told him I was sorry, my fault, etc., and that was what it took for him to walk away.  Who knows what would have happened should I have argued back. It was something I'll never forget. And I have plenty of other similar stories.

Now their gonna try a mini scallop season in Pasco County.O.o

Watch live PD. Having dinner with some of the commissioners this weekend. Gonna lose my marbles.

Thanks fellas for the tore up boat ramp making two point's of entry unusable in the busiest ramp in the county next to the most densely populated county in the state of Florida.  Been blocked off since IRMA. The pay to park and use the place machines are working fine.:/

Archived