Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease

rubble

Lots of opinion on this I reckon like oils, and It probably doesn't matter much as long as service is regular ,but I have always used Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease #2.  Its reddish in color and most folks mistake it for Lucas Red and Tacky but the Mystik is bit different and has a slightly higher drop point temp. Comes standard in Rockwell axles as it was developed for them and Spicer I believe. 

After almost 40 years in the bearing business, the brand name of the grease is not as important as keeping the water out.  Bearings will not run satisfactory if water is present because the water breaks down the hydrodynamic film that seperates the rollers from the races.  

A #2 lithium grease with a ISO 220 oil is preferred for general tapered roller bearing applications.  Greases like Mobilux EP 2, Shell  Alvania EP 2 or Lucas Red & Tacky are greases that meet the criteria.

I use the bearing buddy with the Bra and they seem to work fine. Actually have a spare for each wheel just in case.  I have something that Advance Auto told me to get.  It's high Temp and is Blue in color  They call it Nano.  Thought once it was close to gone I'd change over to whatever is best for Saltwater applications.  

Looks like this..

https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-transmission-fluid/marine-lubricant-grease/nanopromt-14-oz-marine-grease/302894_0?_requestid=410248

I agree with Sunstone, Bearing Bras reduce water intrusion through the rubber plug in the end of the dust cover.  I highly recommend them.

I'm not sure why people use synthetic greases for boat trailer bearings, there shouldn't be any substantial heat and most people change the grease frequently and they aren't any better against water.

I used AMSoil blue grease for years but it was hard to find around town so I switched to Valvoline Crimson a few years back because I can get it down the street from my house. I pump 10 squirts of new grease in my Posi-lubes every 3 months, remove the excess grease and change my rubber dust caps every 6 months for the win! 

Thanks for the recommendations. Found that the local parts place next door carries the Lucas red and tacky. They dont put it on the shelf. Must be like Pappy or Sudafed. Gotta ask for it. 

One thing I’d suggest is a Lock n Lube. Eliminates issues with securing tightly to the zerk and the mess that comes along with the loose fits. 

https://locknlube.com/

Archived