Re-power my 2006 Redfisher 16 ( with pics now)

rdupre

Actual pitch is a gray area and is hard to pinpoint among various props.  Some props have more aggressive cupping than others, which also adds pitch.  The PTR has more than average cupping, so you should add 1 inch of pitch to the calculator to compensate.  I ran your numbers through the calculator - 2.15 gear ratio, 18 pitch, 45 mph and came up with 8% slip.  Not awful, but not great.  The NRS3 is probably a better fit for your (our) rig.  If it's like the Turbo as advertised, it should work well.  You might even get away with upping to an 18 pitch NRS3!  Good luck!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Actual pitch is a gray area and is hard to pinpoint among various props.  Some props have more aggressive cupping than others, which also adds pitch.  The PTR has more than average cupping, so you should add 1 inch of pitch to the calculator to compensate.  I ran your numbers through the calculator - 2.15 gear ratio, 18 pitch, 45 mph and came up with 8% slip.  Not awful, but not great.  The NRS3 is probably a better fit for your (our) rig.  If it's like the Turbo as advertised, it should work well.  You might even get away with upping to an 18 pitch NRS3!  Good luck!

Hey thanks for that information!  I'm waiting on the NRS3 to come to me so I can try it.  I'll keep you posted.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 7:25 AM, rdupre said:

Ended up with the PTR3, 17 pitch Power Tech.  Hole shot is good (not great but acceptable) and mid-range acceleration is great and top end is about 45 mph with full fishing gear and 2 people.  overall I'm pleased.  My issue right now (and I think it's more operator than set-up) is learning how to take tight turns without prop blow out.  Marcus has been very helpful and patient with my questions.  Let me know how your repower goes and what prop you wind up with.

Thinking about trying the NRS3 17 pitch.  It is 13.25 inch wheel compared to the 13.5 inch PTR3. 

You have a jack plate?

No jack plate on my boat.  I went with the SS Talon 19 and it is awesome.  3 seconds to plane using tabs in full down.  5 seconds no tabs at all.  Boat turns so much better than with the old 90 2-stroke.  Don’t get prop blow out hardly at all unless trimmed up past 40%.  Couldn’t be happier. 2 people and fishing gear 49mph. Haven’t been solo but dealer got 51 at WOT with single person. 

FD8AEE17-AD52-4756-B6BF-C0DFF375A0EA.jpeg

2 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Hey !

were you able to use your old prop ?

I just bought the same motor and have a new PT prop .

Was hoping I could still use it .

Please , when you get some real numbers , I would be REAL interested to hear how she be performing .

🇺🇸☠️

No, but I had a 4 blade power tech SCD stern lifting design.  Would not have worked on this new setup.  

Im running a power tech PTR3 17 pitch now but getting ready to try a NRS3 soon   

What prop are you running now?

The SCD stern lifting prop will not be a good match for this set-up.  Sorry about that.   But...

If you read the responses from others to this thread you get some real good information on props with the Yamaha 115 SHO.  Deere Dan has a good option for you (which I may try as well)

From Deere Dan....No jack plate on my boat.  I went with the SS Talon 19 and it is awesome.  3 seconds to plane using tabs in full down.  5 seconds no tabs at all.  Boat turns so much better than with the old 90 2-stroke.  Don’t get prop blow out hardly at all unless trimmed up past 40%.  Couldn’t be happier. 2 people and fishing gear 49mph. Haven’t been solo but dealer got 51 at WOT with single person. 

The Power Tech NRS3 seems to be a close match...I'll be getting that one in to try in 17 pitch.  I'll update when I finally do that.

1 hour ago, rdupre said:

The SCD stern lifting prop will not be a good match for this set-up.  Sorry about that.   But...

If you read the responses from others to this thread you get some real good information on props with the Yamaha 115 SHO.  Deere Dan has a good option for you (which I may try as well)

From Deere Dan....No jack plate on my boat.  I went with the SS Talon 19 and it is awesome.  3 seconds to plane using tabs in full down.  5 seconds no tabs at all.  Boat turns so much better than with the old 90 2-stroke.  Don’t get prop blow out hardly at all unless trimmed up past 40%.  Couldn’t be happier. 2 people and fishing gear 49mph. Haven’t been solo but dealer got 51 at WOT with single person. 

The Power Tech NRS3 seems to be a close match...I'll be getting that one in to try in 17 pitch.  I'll update when I finally do that.

What boat are these numbers from ?

🇺🇸☠️

I use The Wedge, but I have confidence that my transom can handle it.  There are still days when I tow the boat on some rough roads, that I think about buying a transom saver-type for support from the trailer to the LU.  Wish someone would make one that's more corrosion resistant.  Most of the ones I've seen are made of pot metal, zinc steel, rivets, bare aluminum, etc.  Hey! might be a good project for AIM Welding!

15 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Ok

Great

Next question .

What is now the preferred device for tilting the motor up , while trailering ?

Still the Wedge ?

🇺🇸☠️

I believe Yamaha has put their name on the Wedge they re-sell....so, I"d assume OEM approved.

I use it on my 115.....set in place, ease off the hydraulics....

dc

2 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Ok

Great

Next question .

Still the Wedge ?

🇺🇸☠️

Outlaw unfortunately you won’t be able to use the same wedge that was on your old 2 stroke tlrb115 motor , the SHO went to a single ram one the ways they trimmed some weight and made things lighter than the older 4 strokes .  The single ram has another type of wedge . I cut a slot in my old wedge from my F150 and have been using it for a year , I really need to order the wedge for my SHO some day .  When is the Estimated time on your first time out with that brand new VF115 ? 

D4D3DAAC-819B-4A96-893C-4461069EF021.jpeg

1 hour ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Ok

Great

Next question .

Still the Wedge ?

🇺🇸☠️

I would give a look at Motor Mate.  It holds it up like the wedge but also keeps it from turning and is rock solid while trailering.

45 minutes ago, dabear said:

rdupre , is that the part # that you ordered for your VF 115 SHO ? Does the Motor Mate stay attached to the motor and hang down until needed or do you only have it on when in tow ? Do you have a picture of it installed on your SHO ? 

this is a good video.  I’m not home to take a pic of mine.  

57 minutes ago, dabear said:

rdupre , is that the part # that you ordered for your VF 115 SHO ? Does the Motor Mate stay attached to the motor and hang down until needed or do you only have it on when in tow ? Do you have a picture of it installed on your SHO ? 

https://motormateusa.com/product/yamaha-4-stroke-115hp-sho/

this is the 115 sho model.  You only have the Motor Mate attached while towing.  Otherwise, you take it off.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, dabear said:

Great that looks way better than the modified old wedge I have been using . Thanks for the video and your time . 

On 11/19/2018 at 5:40 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

I like that .

Sandy Clause just ordered someone naughty one !

🇺🇸☠️

Ok, I know it’s taken a little bit to get back to this topic but I’ve locked in on my final prop.  The Power Tech NRS3-17 pitch is the perfect prop for my set-up.   

Not sure I can explain why but this geometry works *** near perfect in all aspects.   My issue with the PTR3-17 pitch worked well except in turns where I was getting severe blow out.  

The NRS3-17 solved that issue completely.   No blow out in turns.   Top end is 6200 rpm with fully loaded boat and 46 mph.  Hole shot is acceptable.   All in all, I like the total performance of this prop   

Archived