Hydro Tec Marine Performance???

VS-MasterAngler

Hey Guys,

Has anyone ever heard of or put a Hydro Tec Marine- Phase I Kit on their Yamaha motor?

I Stumbled stumbled upon a post on Facebook and the guy was talking about having put one on his Yammi 150 vmax OX66 and his numbers seemed really good!

Any info would be appreciated, about reliability, performance, fuel economy, etc... I'm not worried about voiding a motor warranty as my motor is an 01 Yamaha Vmax OX66 with 70 hours.

The Kit on Hydro Tec's website is $1,236 and then I'm sure there would be a decent amount of labor to have it installed.

If this kit isn't worth it is there anything that can be done to an older carb 2 stroke, to up performance??

Thanks, Vinnie

I Have used hydro tech for machine work many times. Used them way back when Nathan Worthy was there he ported one of my blocks . Wayne Worthy kind of took over when Nathan went away . I have not used them since I went to 4 strokes . Nathan and Wayne both would go out of there way to help answer all my questions . I am not sure who is running the show today . Have used there heads and reeds .  There phase l kit will increase your compression you will have to use a higher grade gas with the added compression. Your motor will respond to the throttle better . You should feel low end performance gains as soon as you hit the throttle , you will pick up some top end also. Ask Wayne what kind of performance gains you will get with this kit he will let you know what to expect. I would think a 3-4 mph top end is very possible . The heads will be your biggest bolt on performance gain . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dabear said:

I Have used hydro tech for machine work many times. Used them way back when Nathan was there he ported one of my blocks .Have used there heads and reeds .  There phase l kit will increase your compression you will have to use a higher greade gas with the added compression. Your motor will respond to the throttle better . You should feel low end performance gains as soon as you hit the throttle , you will pick up some top end also. Ask Wayne what kind of performance gains you will get with this kit will let you know what to expect. I would think a 3-4 mph top end is very possible . The heads will be your biggest bolt on performance gain . 

This is pretty much spot on. 

Not a real tough install at all . Remove stock reeds and install HTs carbon fiber reeds , replace carb jets with jets that are a couple mm larger remove stock heads and install heads that have been shaved for a little higher compression .  The higher compression will put a little more strain on the power head short block than stock but with the carb jet size going up a little richer , and running a higher octaine gas it still should not lean out and remain fairly safe . Anytime you add more compression or alter OEM parts on any engine you may shorten the life. 

12 hours ago, dabear said:

Not a real tough install at all . Remove stock reeds and install HTs carbon fiber reeds , replace carb jets with jets that are a couple mm larger remove stock heads and install heads that have been shaved for a little higher compression .  The higher compression will put a little more strain on the power head short block than stock but with the carb jet size going up a little richer , and running a higher octaine gas it still should not lean out and remain fairly safe . Anytime you add more compression or alter OEM parts on any engine you may shorten the life. 

Thank you!

Year 5 or 6 on a new Powerhead with reeds, etc forget which phase kit on a Vmax OX66 150.  Its on a MA18 I believe it puts out over 180hp.  Based on the hole shot and performance I would hate to have to strap a 4 stroke on it one day.  Probably 500 plus hours since new powerhead. 

On 1/14/2018 at 9:25 PM, CRC said:

Year 5 or 6 on a new Powerhead with reeds, etc forget which phase kit on a Vmax OX66 150.  Its on a MA18 I believe it puts out over 180hp.  Based on the hole shot and performance I would hate to have to strap a 4 stroke on it one day.  Probably 500 plus hours since new powerhead. 

Wow, Thanks for the info! What type of WOT speed are you seeing now?! Also where did you have the work done?!

59 w a 21p merc. Mirage plus w 1 " taken out so a 20". But the feel good prop all around is a 19 P merc mirage plus. 54-55 mph light load max. , but the 19 seems like a big hole shot difference .   Whole head was exchanged local marina did work after I found hydro tec. Can't beat it from my experience.  It jumps on plane. Good luck can't go wrong. 

• 1 year later...

Hydro Tech did a phase 3 powerhead job on a Yamaha 1989 150 carberated engine on my 1989 176 champion bass boat rated at 150 horse power, it turned everones head floating around before takeoff when I lit that phase 3 150 it sounded like a pissed off big mean bumble bee on steroids! It cackled at idle and turned 6400 rpms at full throttle and would run that 176 champion 87 mph in hot water slinging a 25 pitch trophy four blade for maximum bite and stability, it would sling a 27 pitch tempest three blade as well only loose a tad of hole shot and ran 91 in 34 degree water when we put that big wheel in play. Scary fast with cable steering and not just anybody could drive it through the little chine Walk that left unaddressed would turn to a situation where anybody else who drove that boat immediately set her down off pad and said that "scared me to death so you drive it" and I knew how to shake shake shake the wheel to the left when the nose fell right and started to chine Walk at 70 to keep it on pad upto 75 then she settled out and you could then trim full up and the nose of the boat would hunt one once left one inch right saying which way boss man smooth as silk 87mph on top skimming over the slop and caps and troughs like all champion boats will do at full trim full throttle with the jack plate height perfect matched with the right prop. If I remember correctly that phase 3 powerhead was putting out over 210 horse power at the prop. So I in full recommend Hydro Tech and their machine work and carbon reeds and the jet replacement in the carb. If you want to piss off a 78000 dollar ranger 21 footer with a 250 pro xs Merc just run up beside him at a safe distance and look over and push from 3/4 throttle half trim to full throttle full up trim and wave good bye and run off and hide from him! Lol 

• 1 year later...

Let me tell you, these guys are on point! Hydro Tec Marine offers top-notch services. They answered so many questions before I bought my first products from them. After those products worked flawlessly for some I decided it was time I have them built a engine for me.  Now we have built a few engine combinations together. From mild to wild, the guys @ Hydro Tec Marine have been here every step of the way. I even had a few hiccups with one engine. Ben and John simply had me ship the engine back and they said they would take a look at it. Well, the problem ended up being the engine not coming up to temperature like it should. This was my fault due to the choice of parts that I wanted on the engine for this particular build. They went ahead and warrantied the engine anyhow. John started he didn't want his name on anything that didn't fully make the customer happy. Thank you John and Ben for putting up with me, a customer that can be very hard to please. As you stood behind your product, I will make sure to refer customers to your company for many years ahead. 

Graciously,
Charles Justice
EFS Performance

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NyRkFugAifHNsUFq8