Fire Extinguisher Recall, Could Be on your Boat

MuddyBottomBluz

Just an FYI, Kiddie is recalling a boat load (no pun intended) of fire extinguishers for failure to discharge or the nozzle breaking off and becoming an impact hazard. It looks like they can be a real issue for boaters and for home protection. There are alot of models affected so check here https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and to see if the model is on the recall list.

• Like 1

This topic is HIGHLY important & should be permanently pinned to the 1st page of General Forum by the mod. 

Somewhat friendly ranger did a safety check on my boat last weekend in the ENP and my fire ext was one of the recalled models. He told me to replace it ASAP to avoid being one of the unlucky people that had fire ext failures in a time of need. 

• Thanks 1

Stuff like this is a major concern, millions of units are out there so that is why I posted it. I was responsible for maintaining all the fire fighting equipment on 2 USCG medium endurance cutters so you can take the Damage Control man out of the Coast Guard but you can't take the Damage Control out of the man.

• Like 2

• Moderator pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for the heads up MuddyBottomBluz. I just got off the phone  with Kidde. NOT happy with the answer I got from them. My unit model#FA10G is in the recall. They are happy to replace it but the shipping will take between fifteen to twenty days to ship. This is their stated reason for the recall on the website:

Hazard:

The fire extinguishers can become clogged or require excessive force to discharge and can fail to activate during a fire emergency. In addition, the nozzle can detach with enough force to pose an impact hazard.

I asked the CS rep what to do in the mean time. She said if I should need to use this one before I receive the new one that "I should push down on the handle really hard and as long as I can to get the extinguisher to discharge. That should make the extinguisher discharge." As a former Damage Control person in the Navy also, I find it unacceptable that my fire extinguisher should work in case of a fire. So, I guess I will be purchasing an additional extinguisher as I refuse to be on my boat with an extinguisher that should work if I put excessive force on the handle. My experience with plastic has always been that if I use excessive force it WILL break! We all know how extremely important extinguishing a fire on a boat is. If your fire extinguisher fails your only alternative is to abandon ship!

• 4 months later...

Glad I found my way back to, or to the new forums shall I say? I replaced flares and suppression last summer and I must have bought one of them just before the recall! Saw this thread last night and immediately looked into it, confirmed and filed with kiddie. Thanks for the heads up! I owe you a beer.

• 2 years later...