New speed zones

Capt. Troy

There are a bunch of new zones around Ft Desoto and the signs aren't exactly all telling. As an example the entire flat west of Tarpon Key to the Tierra Verde causeway is now slow speed. "Used to be use caution shallow area." For the last 20 years or so.

This means you can not run at speed between the Bunces pass channel and the Pass a Grille channel on that flat. The new signs posting the zone can easily be missed as I entered and exited the flat at least a 1/2 mile from the signs.

There is another zone approaching Oneils and Indian Key. This area incorporates the entire north side of Indian Key all the way to the west end and coming from Loggerhead Marina and the Maximo Ramp.

I got ran down Saturday and warned by the FWC. Very nice encounter but a PITA non the less with paying customers on board. I have not fished that area since last spring and the new signs were put in sometime in July. The officer also said there were many new zones all the way to Pasco county on the ICW and he agreed the signs were spread pretty thin.

He was pretty cool as he said he ran a good bit to catch me. I was only doing 55.biggrin.gif
Had I not slowed down for the Miesner Bridge he may not have been able to catch up.

Seasonal or not there are a lot of ways to get on that flat and not get within a half of a mile of those signs especially when the tide is up. To make matters worse the small signs that were there still say Caution shallow water with no speed restriction. I am sure that is the reason he did not cite me. It would be a hard case to convict and I would have fought that one. That is a darn big area to idle through and basically forces everyone to run in the main channel and get your brains beat out from boat wakes.>:(

Correct you are.

They are tasking the FWC to enforce zones that will be challenged in the event of a citation.

I spoke with both of the FWC leadership yesterday. They agree with the current posting it will be a waste of many dollars to convict and make a case.

If I mess up I will pay the fine. No way I would with what they have going on there. Thus the reasons for warnings being issued for educating as they say.

That dog doesn't hunt with me. I got a 30 minute education and still am not sure of what and where I can run in certain areas around there.

Someone is going to hit one of these newly placed signs and kill themselves. They certainly are not on any Chart as of now. The place was a mess before with the old signs. Just a bunch of posts sticking up from Safety Harbor to lord knows where all over Tampa Bay at the 6 foot contour line. Look at the line of them right where you live off of Coopers Point to Safety harbor. Very eradicate placement to say the least. And, they have not been maintained to be reflective.

Some new signs out of Gandy also, I haven't fished from there in awhile. There is a new idle sign in the channel to and from the ramp, which of course I didn't see on the way out. Its way to the one side of the channel. Also there are new signs for a swim area no boats, around Picnic Island.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 9:49 AM, linesider 159 said:

Problem is unless you know where to run between Tarpon and jackass key if you are in a bigger boat you can run aground. Flats boats have no issue at most tides. 

For those wanting to look at the maps: http://myfwc.com/media/3685658/pinellasmpz-maps.pdf

Good map link.

They could have caught me 5 times in one day after looking at these maps. Dang. That is a lot of area to have to idle in.:o

I think the most ridiculous idle zone is on the western side of the campground. The whole area is slow speed which makes no sense. Been that way for some time now. 

I don't see the reason for making the whole area west of tarpon key slow speed. 

A lot of these zones make no sense and clearly aren't made by people that go out there. Rocky point slow speed is a good example where they have a slow speed zone that starts in 15 feet of water over a mile from the shore. 

Now that i have seen it, That map really ticks me off, and I don't even fish there any more.  That area by Indian key makes NO sense.  I assumed they were making the area west of indian key a slow zone.  Why by oniels Marina? Thats a marked channel!  This is a typical government power grab.  Arrggghh.  

Archived