Possibly moving to Houston

Larry Bell

Hi Folks,

Former Florida inshore fisherman here, now living in Chicago.  Due to my company's relocation, it is possible Houston (well actually Spring, TX) will be one of my choices.  This is the closest to the Gulf of Mexico I can get.

So here is my question;

For flats/inshore fishing, Reds/Trout/Snook what "generalized" areas are good near Houston.  I am not asking for your "honey hole spots" but more a wide generic locations.   As well as locations that aren't very good (aka lot of port traffic, etc). As I will be buying a house, and would like to be somewhat close to work, and somewhat close to the water.

Thanks,

Larry Bell

Hi Larry,

Texas has a very good fishery and you will have a lot of options. I am not too far from Spring and Galveston Bay is doable for day trips. I have fished in the West and East Bays and have found the Top Spot maps to be very helpful in identifying shell reefs and structure to fish. There are a few other folks on here that fish Galveston frequently so am sure they will chime in.

There are a lot of great options along the coast - from the LA border all the way down to the Mexican border. The water tends to be clearer the further south you go.

I spend most of my time sight fishing in shallow water so fish the central coast area (Rockport) as the water tends to be clear and there are many shallow flats and back lakes to fish. Rockport is 200 miles south so about a three to four hour trip from North Houston.

Good luck with the move!

Rob,

Thank you for the reply.  I will go online and invest in one of those maps.  Growing up on the water in West Central Florida, I never used them, as I knew the water like the back of my hand.  But, that is a GREAT tip for a newbie, such as myself, regarding this unfamiliar territory!

Also thanks again for the generalized tips.....that is what I was looking for

Larry

I am from the west coast as well (new port richey) and now live in League City which is just north of Galveston. The fishing here is not like FL in terms of style but it is a great fishery and still a lot of fun. I still take leave each year to get my tarpon/snook fix back home. Trout are the primary target for 90% of the guys here, redfish are readily available as well. If you end up moving this way feel free to message me, I can show you what I have learned the past couple years.  

Thanks Ryan,

We were told those that have to move would be told in Aug with a move no later than Dec 31.  So I will continue to wait and see.  I am kind of excited to move closer to the water, where I'd be able to go fishing again.  I go 1 week a year with my uncles to St. James City, FL and we rent a house for the whole week and do nothing but fish.  Man those are some great times on the water!

Larry

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Folks,

I am going to "bump" this post again, as now I have been promoted and my company is back in business of putting folks in Houston.  Just wondering if all the above still holds true with the aftermath of Harvey.  Lord that was devastating to see on tv, I could only imagine how it was in person.  I have been approved for a Transfer to Omaha, Houston (Spring), or Dallas, however don't have an effective date yet.  If you'd like to share any additional info in private, feel free to message me here, or email me at LarryBell5@aol.com.

Until then Tight Lines, and keep those Cork's Gone under the water!

Larry

• 1 month later...

Well I have made it here to Houston, I got an apartment up in Conroe, for short term, till I buy a house.  My stuff arrives Saturday (not early enough).....In a few weeks if any of you locals need a fishing partner, I have Gas $$$ to help out......send me a message...

Thanks,

Larry

Welcome to the area. The beach front is starting to heat up and if you can make it down the fishing is going to be great for the summer in the surf. I usually have a full boat (wife/kids) but I’ll pm you if I’m solo. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Archived