What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 7:47 PM, geeviam said:

Looks great!  Anxious to hear what you think of it after the test run.

I guess I forgot to let y’all know how the Bob’s plate did. Hole shot is great and I can get on plane with the engine jacked higher. I get no blow out in turns when lightly loaded.  If I have coolers, multiple persons, etc. I still get a little blow out at speed in hard corners, but if y’all have ever been in a 1900T, then you know it’s a very trim sensitive hull.  I’m very happy with the results. A friend on here put one on his boat after I did, and his 1806V has gone from a pig to a great performing boat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

I guess I forgot to let y’all know how the Bob’s plate did. Hole shot is great and I can get on plane with the engine jacked higher. I get no blow out in turns when lightly loaded.  If I have coolers, multiple persons, etc. I still get a little blow out at speed in hard corners, but if y’all have ever been in a 1900T, then you know it’s a very trim sensitive hull.  I’m very happy with the results. A friend on here put one on his boat after I did, and his 1806V has gone from a pig to a great performing boat. 

That's good news!  Glad it worked out well for you.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 4:02 PM, HewesYourDaddy said:

Have you had a chance to try the Meguiars?

Yes Sir I have. Been windy and chilly so I just did my console so far. Went on/off easy anxious to see if shine stays a little while. Boat is on a lift and have T-top but it is out in the sun. Thanks for the recommendation 

glenn

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Took a trip to Harbor Freight this morning for air hose fittings and stumbled across some nice heavy duty rubber wheel checks so.......I bought a pair.

AA1FD116-6B07-4492-88D8-C9FF5FB31904.jpeg

A3A26718-83EB-4EE7-9E24-AF3CF03DE370.jpeg

Woooooahhhhh. with that hill behind the boat...you definitely need them...nice find....I'm old school....a couple of bricks and  I"m good to go (LOL) :)

dc

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Took a trip to Harbor Freight this morning for air hose fittings and stumbled across some nice heavy duty rubber wheel checks so.......I bought a pair.

I bought similar chocks at Northern Tool.  Use them all the time on the slopes here in the SC foothills.  My driveway incline rises 20 feet from the street to the garage, on a less than 1/2 acre lot.  I had to mash the pedal on the 300hp V8 Chevy, just to back the Redfisher 16 up to the garage - but gradually, or the tires would spin, lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Woooooahhhhh. with that hill behind the boat...you definitely need them...nice find....I'm old school....a couple of bricks and  I"m good to go (LOL) :)

dc

WWF, I used to use the bricks but I noticed that the tires are pinched due to the decline, being a tire guy I want these tires to last as long as possible and the chucks cradle the tire "no more pinch on the belts".  Plus that is a 14" drop off from the driveway to the ground and that is not something I would want to have to deal with. 

3 hours ago, geeviam said:

I bought similar chocks at Northern Tool.  Use them all the time on the slopes here in the SC foothills.  My driveway incline rises 20 feet from the street to the garage, on a less than 1/2 acre lot.  I had to mash the pedal on the 300hp V8 Chevy, just to back the Redfisher 16 up to the garage - but gradually, or the tires would spin, lol.

Geeviam,  Mine drops from the street to it's resting spot about 10-12 ft. SC definitely has its challenges when it comes to builders and there driveway's.....😁

• Like 1

Installed new Vortex hub assemblies on the trailer followed with new Aluminum wheels and radial tires.

Had a tire blow out coming home from last trip out while still 90 minutes from my house.  I had a spare and tools but it was still quite an adventure as it happened on the driver's side along a freeway with a speed limit of 70mph and almost no shoulder, maybe 18-24 inches tops!  A friend recommended the wheel and tire combo and that I replace hubs at the same time.  I'm glad I did as one of the bearings was well on its way to imploding.

Vortex hub assembly crp.jpg

655165017_newwheelstiresandhubsfortrailercrp.jpg

• Like 2

Q4R - I should have mentioned, while you are poking around in there, take a good look at those springs.   Can't tell from the pics, but look for cracks.    There is a lanolin spray that you can put on them after launching that will greatly increase their longevity, can't remember the name, but will text you.

<<<insert a million comments here about how you should just get torsion axels instead>>>>  :)

Also, that vortex hub - that black cap, does it screw in?   Mine have these terrible rubber caps that last 5 minutes and then break, spewing grease all over my boat . . . 

29 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Q4R - I should have mentioned, while you are poking around in there, take a good look at those springs.   Can't tell from the pics, but look for cracks.    There is a lanolin spray that you can put on them after launching that will greatly increase their longevity, can't remember the name, but will text you.

<<<insert a million comments here about how you should just get torsion axels instead>>>>  :)

Also, that vortex hub - that black cap, does it screw in?   Mine have these terrible rubber caps that last 5 minutes and then break, spewing grease all over my boat . . . 

I have been a big fan of my vortex hubs, yes the cap screws in.

• Thanks 1

Its been a busy week or so...

Full engine service

New casting platform

install rubber gasket on front hatch

install compression latch for front hatch

update bilge plumbing

drain and reseal leak in push pole

rebuild jack plate pump

service/flush power pole pump

Repair the battle wounds from poling over oyster beds from the past year on bottom of boat

Fresh topside paint (both hull and deck)

...now on to tackle...

IMG_3493.thumb.jpg.cca6da5270ecf581da315b584433ea5a.jpg

IMG_3494.thumb.jpg.48c8e8b3891896309123bbc058359fc0.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

The black cap screws on yes.  Pretty thick plastic and has an o-ring seal as well.  

10 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Little rubber end caps is one reason I too switched to vortex. Another work around is to use bearing buddy caps. Not great for shooting grease in but makes a good cap that can be removed and replaced without destroying them like the little rubber plug 

the screw cap on the vortex  hub can be replicated using a set by rock solid.  it is an aluminum body that fits the hub and has a clear blue cap that screws on. it allows you to see in and simply unscrews to allow a grease gun to add grease. can't  remember  where i got them but it was either here or bbc.net that i saw them.

I found where i got them.

trailerdepot.com

aluminum bearing grease cap by Rockwell american

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Little rubber end caps is one reason I too switched to vortex. Another work around is to use bearing buddy caps. Not great for shooting grease in but makes a good cap that can be removed and replaced without destroying them like the little rubber plug 

My Vortex hub assemblies have a zirk fitting on the axle side to add grease.  Remove cap, add grease and watch old grease come out from the cap area, then resecure cap.

Spent 6 hours pulling baits and only got 1 little ditch pickle...and also avoided getting shot as there must have been hunters in the area.  Had what sounded like a .22 or .38 goes wizzing by me.  Close enough for me to hear it and then hit the water.  Scared the crap out of me as I then pulled in the baits and got the heck out of there....

8AE7472B-8416-4797-8659-C7B76C6C38FB_1_201_a.jpeg

• Sad 1