What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

13 hours ago, GlennF said:

Capt that is a very large Speckled Trout! Great pics thanks for sharing.  Looks like the weather is getting a little nippy where you are.

Thanks Glenn - we get a big run of trout every November and they are around until the netters get them or they move further south.   We have a population of resident trout, but they get beaten up pretty badly.    

As for the cold weather, yes, it's that time.    When I moved to NC I learned to look forward to the cool weather for the fish it brought with it!

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Thanks Glenn - we get a big run of trout every November and they are around until the netters get them or they move further south.   We have a population of resident trout, but they get beaten up pretty badly.    

As for the cold weather, yes, it's that time.    When I moved to NC I learned to look forward to the cool weather for the fish it brought with it!

Only time I saw Trout that big was in NJ where we called them Weakfish. 

On 11/5/2020 at 8:33 AM, HewesYourDaddy said:

I was bored yesterday evening after work, so I closed myself up in my shop and gave the new polisher a workout. 

6524073F-1DBA-404C-A1E5-3275F38E40F6.jpeg

B8F2421F-C6E7-4806-A7D8-1F95130859B8.jpeg

Nice picture of the golf cart. You have that nice buffer and professional pads and you use Meguiar’s? It looks good. I gotta try that. My boats sits in a slip now and I can wax my console every couple weeks using boat polish and it just turns dull in no time. Thx

18 hours ago, GlennF said:

Nice picture of the golf cart. You have that nice buffer and professional pads and you use Meguiar’s? It looks good. I gotta try that. My boats sits in a slip now and I can wax my console every couple weeks using boat polish and it just turns dull in no time. Thx

Yep, I've been using Meguiar's on my boats for many years. It seems to be the best wax/polish that I've found to hold up to the elements. My favorite to use used to be Meguiar's Tech Wax, but I believe they no longer make it. I picked this bottle up when I went to purchase some more Tech Wax and couldn't find any. This bottle seems to work well.

Major purchase.  Just can't wait for these to arrive and install them!    

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Lube-Rubber-Grease-Plugs/dp/B0154JGVPE/ref=asc_df_B0154JGVPE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241940740972&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7447349141310970789&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1021374&hvtargid=pla-792311739272&psc=1

LOL - Not sure why, but the ones that came with my current bearings didn't last long.   I have the kind of spindle that forces grease back into the bearings, and when these plugs go bad, grease gets hurled all over my rims, boat, etc.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Lube-Rubber-Grease-Plugs/dp/B0154JGVPE/ref=asc_df_B0154JGVPE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241940740972&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7447349141310970789&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1021374&hvtargid=pla-792311739272&psc=1

LOL - Not sure why, but the ones that came with my current bearings didn't last long.   I have the kind of spindle that forces grease back into the bearings, and when these plugs go bad, grease gets hurled all over my rims, boat, etc.    

Go ahead and buy two sets those little rubbers  are crap. I changed my hubs to vortex hubs this year. I hope to get much better service from them. 

5 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Easy option.... Bearing Buddy. I have Kodiac Stainless Steel hubs so no screw on cap option.  I instead use Bearing Buddy to replace the oem steel cap and rubber insert.  I can easily remove the snap ring and pull the center out. That gives me access to the spindle grease fitting. After pumping in new grease I put the cap, spring and snap ring back. I add a little (very little) pressure to the Bearing Buddy grease fitting and put the braw back securing it with a tie wrap. Stays very clean and the positive pressure helps prevent water intrusion.

Hub1.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HoneyB said:

That is exactly the best use for bearing buddy’s. Never trust them to actually grease the bearing but they make a workable dust cap. 

The biggest problem with Bearing Buddy is over packing them. Most people pump to much grease in them and as soon as the greases gets hot and expands they pop off. I do use them mostly as a Cap. Appling grease through the spindle is the way to go. Those OEM rubber top things are usless IMO. They are a mess. I have said before that if Vortex came in Stainless I would have them.

https://www.trailerdepot.com/1-aluminum-bearing-grease-cap-1-980/

These might be a better option  

JH141-  genius solution with the SS bearing buddies.... Ive been wanting to go SS hubs but was not willing to do so and have to deal with the caps with the rubber end cap.... whenever I had them they were the #1 cause of water intrusion and twice was bad enough I had to replace all the bearings and races.  With this bit of info I can now go with SS hubs so thanks

Quick question though hows removing them go when the need arises to take the hub off?

18 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

JH141-  genius solution with the SS bearing buddies.... Ive been wanting to go SS hubs but was not willing to do so and have to deal with the caps with the rubber end cap.... whenever I had them they were the #1 cause of water intrusion and twice was bad enough I had to replace all the bearings and races.  With this bit of info I can now go with SS hubs so thanks

Quick question though hows removing them go when the need arises to take the hub off?

If you need to completely remove them, they come off pretty easy with a soft mallet. A couple taps on different sides does the trick. Some use a round pipe ( like Jason P said ) that snugly fits over the BB to wiggle it up and down to get it off. I actually use a small amount of Red Loctite when installing mine and they still can be taken off pretty easily.  If you just want to replace the grease, removing the BB snap ring allows you to easily pull the inner cap out and access the spindle fitting. I do that at least once a year. The one advantage of the BB's is you can run a small amount of positive pressure to help keep them water tight. Just do not get carried away with that. The pressure "can" cause them to pop off.