What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

11 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Amongst the craziness going on out there. Got the new engine hung and running!! The company I used made a new dash out of acrylic that looks AMAZING!! Put almost 2hrs on her today.

Congrats!  She looks great man!  Keep us posted and share some numbers when you finish the break-in.  👍

20190919_163905.thumb.jpg.8320e313b3c0f3c56e83bf615f3a006d.jpgThis is more of an oops that started in October the last week before pulling my 05 2000V Pathy for another New England winter. While cruising the same line I've taken dozens of times to one of my fishing spots found a rock i wasn't looking for. Sheered 98% of skeg off without damaging prop at all (how?) Luckily, lower unit ok otherwise and fished till pulling boat a week later. Marina wanted $3,000 to fix. I figured I had 6 months to resolve. 

Watched a few YouTube videos on how to remove lower unit from my Yamaha F115 and delivered unit to propeller shop a few towns away. Shop owner told me to guy buy a lottery ticket since if another 1/4" and lower unit would've been breached. Picked unit up last week, replaced water pump myself got it all back together and saved myself $2750! Learned alot, took full advantage of Covid down time now need to polish SS prop. Only problem was Yamaha blue paint I used is the newer, bluer paint not the old Gray Blue of my 05 fourstroke. Not a concern for me though.

20200328_115803.jpg

20200327_194006.jpg

20200318_142117.jpg

20200318_133036.jpg

20200318_165743.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SKINNY DIPPIN said:

20190919_163905.thumb.jpg.8320e313b3c0f3c56e83bf615f3a006d.jpgThis is more of an oops that started in October the last week before pulling my 05 2000V Pathy for another New England winter. While cruising the same line I've taken dozens of times to one of my fishing spots found a rock i wasn't looking for. Sheered 98% of skeg off without damaging prop at all (how?) Luckily, lower unit ok otherwise and fished till pulling boat a week later. Marina wanted $3,000 to fix. I figured I had 6 months to resolve. 

Watched a few YouTube videos on how to remove lower unit from my Yamaha F115 and delivered unit to propeller shop a few towns away. Shop owner told me to guy buy a lottery ticket since if another 1/4" and lower unit would've been breached. Picked unit up last week, replaced water pump myself got it all back together and saved myself $2750! Learned alot, took full advantage of Covid down time now need to polish SS prop. Only problem was Yamaha blue paint I used is the newer, bluer paint not the old Gray Blue of my 05 fourstroke. Not a concern for me though.

20200328_115803.jpg

20200327_194006.jpg

20200318_142117.jpg

20200318_133036.jpg

20200318_165743.jpg

Man, that repair looks great ! 

The two things that I have learned are over rated now that I’m in my 60’s....

1. Hair on my head.

2 . Paint on the lower unit of outboard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

Just ordered new gauges and a new 250 SHO for the master angler

I guess a Mercury V8 4.6L 250 ProXS, 6200 max RPM, with a 20" Torque Master gearcase, at the same weight (505 LBS) was not a consideration?  Haha, just messin' with ya - don't flog me!

Replacing an existing SHO 250.

Over 1000 hours flawless operation and the new one will be the third engine on this 2010 hull.

Based on my motor usage I believe the hull has well over 20 K hours wet time since new. The few trolling motors have more hours and I am on number 3.

The gauges are destroyed and when not in use the boat is in the shed and so is my butt. The wear and tear is showing on both of us.. The key switch is  acting up and I may be the only person on the planet that has a motor that doesn't want to turn off. Go Figure that!

I keep scratching my head until I realize every component on the boat is exposed to the elements nearly 8 times the engine hours.

When your fast, The exposure/usage times add up quicker than motor time by a long shot.😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

Replacing an existing SHO 250.

Over 1000 hours flawless operation and the new one will be the third engine on this 2010 hull.

Capt. Troy, that's a great testimonial for the motor, and the MA 21.  My 2016 SHO 115 has been flawless too, at 120 hours and counting.  The MA 21 is one of my favorite boats as well.  You are lucky to have one of the last ones off the assembly line!  Congrats on having a new SHO 250 on the way.  With the level of success you've had with Yamaha, buying another one is the smart choice.  👍

It may sound crazy but between the tournament boats and several different twin engine offshore boats I have owned somewhere around 35 Yamaha engines from 130 Hp to 300. I bought my first pair of 130's on a 240 Mako the first year Yamaha entered into the Marine market in the US.

They were about rusted off the boat when I sold it but running perfect.

I hung 4 different motors on the 1999 21 Maverick

I have only had 1 engine out of all those grenade on me. I think I had a pretty good run.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, fishmanjj said:

Man, that repair looks great ! 

The two things that I have learned are over rated now that I’m in my 60’s....

1. Hair on my head.

2 . Paint on the lower unit of outboard. 

Very true and funny! 

I'm also very happy with the propeller shop's work. They're a highly recommended small shop that services the entire fleet and state ferries around New Bedford, MA. Shop was happy since I delivered it in December and said I'd see them in a few months(3). They laughed, said great, most want them fixed ASAP!

• Like 1