Time to Re-power

Mangroovin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mangroovin said:

What a beautiful sight late this afternoon!  Got the SHO put on today.  0 hours on it.  Break in starts tomorrow.  Big thanks to Brookside Marine in Naples.  Good to be back.:D:D

IMG_2234.thumb.jpg.53a4f0b46f8cb5a6f27f00ed00d9c50d.jpg

Thats a great looking combo with that 250 hanging on the back. I Hope its fast and runs trouble free forever. 

Take your time and break it in as per yamahas instructions . Joe R 

I followed yamahas break in directions in my owners book on my yamaha 4 strokes  . I figured yamaha would know the best break in procedure to break in there motors being they have seen the results of how thousands of there SHO's last and perform after break in  . We paid a lot of money for our new motors and want to break them so the rings seal best .The first ten hours are important hours. .

1 hour ago, dabear said:

I followed yamahas break in directions in my owners book on my yamaha 4 strokes  . I figured yamaha would know the best break in procedure to break in there motors being they have seen the results of how thousands of there SHO's last and perform after break in  . We paid a lot of money for our new motors snd want to break them so the rings seal best .The first ten hours are important hours. .

I erred on the side of caution, the manufacturer, and the operator’s manual.  I followed the manual’s  break in procedure rather than so many who told me to run it like I stole it.  The first time I pulled the dipstick, the level was 7 inches over the full mark.  I bought a pump on a bucket and have been pumping oil/gas out of the motor ever since.  I have over 100 hours on the motor, and it is still “making oil.”  I have bought 3 gallons of Yamalube to replace oil/gas to keep good oil in the crankcase.  I have been in constant communication with the Yamaha tech people in Atlanta, and they won’t even reimburse me for the Yamalube! 

You are right.  The first 10 hours of break in ARE critical.  If the rings don’t get honed in against the plasma walled cylinders in those 10 hours, then........

32 minutes ago, JEM said:

I erred on the side of caution, the manufacturer, and the operator’s manual.  I followed the manual’s  break in procedure rather than so many who told me to run it like I stole it.  The first time I pulled the dipstick, the level was 7 inches over the full mark.  I bought a pump on a bucket and have been pumping oil/gas out of the motor ever since.  I have over 100 hours on the motor, and it is still “making oil.”  I have bought 3 gallons of Yamalube to replace oil/gas to keep good oil in the crankcase.  I have been in constant communication with the Yamaha tech people in Atlanta, and they won’t even reimburse me for the Yamalube!

Wow!  Well, did you buy the Y.E.S. warranty?  Sounds like you did everything right from the get-go.  Maybe it's time to stop buying all that extra oil on your own dime, maintain the expanding oil at the correct level, and just run the motor like a scalded ape until it either fixes itself or blows up.  It kinda sounds like that's what Yamaha is telling you to do anyway.  It might just be a lemon.

I broke in my last 4 stroke on the hard side. After 10 hrs I drained the oil and replaced the filter. I was shocked by the amount of fine metal that was in the filter. I still wonder if I was too hard on it? It didn't make oil though and it ran great. I'm assuming the fine metal in the filter was from the rings seating into the cylinder walls.

Actually, I do now run it like a “scalded ape!”   If conditions allow, it is very common for me to run 5000 rpms, with the hope that the load, heat, and crankcase pressure will eventually seat the rings.  These SHO engines really started out on bass boats, and you can read until you get bleary eyed on bass boat forums about the “making oil” problem with the V-6 SHO’s.  It’s kind of funny, but in my first call to the Yamaha tech help line, the tech guy tried to act like he had never heard of the issue!    But no, I don’t think I just got a lemon.  Other than this issue, I absolutely love the motor!  It is a beast!  I just think before the honing marks get worn down, you need to run it, and run it hard!  JMHO!

For the long term, I actually have high hopes that because of the high tech, hard, plasma cylinder walls, that the rings will eventually seal, and will last thousands of hours!

Put about 3 hours of break in time on new motor over the past weekend.  Wow.  Didn't run it all the way up of course but the motor is super quiet, really strong and runs amazing.  More than enough power to push my RF 21 along easily.  Hole shot is fantastic.  Im trying it out with my old 4 blade Powertech prop and it seems to be running well with the 21 pitch.  I haven't run it all the way up to see what the rpms top out at but will eventually of course.  So far its fantastic.:D

Hey Jamie.  I think with the 4 blade I was getting about the same with the 2.6 200 hp vmax.  I recall once running it by myself, wide open with not much fuel and empty live wells etc and may have gotten 56 but that was it and everything trimmed to the max etc. just to see how fast I could go.  Never really did that again.  Seems like 53 was about max usually.  

33 minutes ago, Mangroovin said:

Hey Jamie.  I think with the 4 blade I was getting about the same with the 2.6 200 hp vmax.  I recall once running it by myself, wide open with not much fuel and empty live wells etc and may have gotten 56 but that was it and everything trimmed to the max etc. just to see how fast I could go.  Never really did that again.  Seems like 53 was about max usually.  

Thank you for the info. My motor had some serious issues from sitting for a very long time and the old owner had to have everything redone. It's been running great for a whole year for me, but I've always wondered if it was lacking performance.  By the way the trout are biting like crazy! The wife and I boated 105 fish Sunday.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, Mangroovin said:

What a beautiful sight late this afternoon!  Got the SHO put on today.  0 hours on it.  Break in starts tomorrow.  Big thanks to Brookside Marine in Naples.  Good to be back.:D:D

IMG_2234.thumb.jpg.53a4f0b46f8cb5a6f27f00ed00d9c50d.jpg

Looking forward to seeing that baby fly across the bights of Choko....yoooooserrrrrrrr....that should smoke 60 + :)

Enjoy.....

dc

You need to be running that WOT about now. I picked my SHO up on a Friday, did the 2 hours with no wide open runs, then went and fished a tournament Saturday and sunday. I made a 30 mile run alternating between 5000, 5500, and 6000 rpms. No oil was made. Your goal should be not to run under 4500 rpms and no extended idling up until the 10 hour mark. 

On 1/24/2018 at 9:27 AM, linesider 159 said:

You need to be running that WOT about now. I picked my SHO up on a Friday, did the 2 hours with no wide open runs, then went and fished a tournament Saturday and sunday. I made a 30 mile run alternating between 5000, 5500, and 6000 rpms. No oil was made. Your goal should be not to run under 4500 rpms and no extended idling up until the 10 hour mark. 

What happened to the Merc?

On 1/23/2018 at 8:31 PM, Mangroovin said:

You should be able to get well over 60 MPH. I can turn the OXF 21 4 Blade to 5800 RPM and 61 MPH on a 21 MA. I have broken in 4 250 SHO engines. Do not baby it too much. Especially do not idle around a lot in the first 10 hours. I did with one Tarpon fishing and it was the only one to make oil. It stopped that after a bit of hard running.

Archived