Hewes 16 owners

So I have searched the forum and google and haven't been able to narrow anything down. I have a 2001 Hewes Redfisher with a 05 90 Yamaha 4 stroke and it's slower to plane. My prop is a Precision 13 1/4 x 17 turbo and at WOT I'm at 4700 rpms and about 30mph with full gas and two people including myself. 

I was hoping some other Hewes 16 owners could tell me what prop they are using and their results. I called Hewes and they recommended 13 1/4 x 16. But I wanted to get input from people that have owned or own the boat. 

Any help is appreciated. 

What prop are you running now? how many HP?

A 15 or 16 pitch prop with a small diameter (13.25 or smaller) would work for you. PTR in powertech works well for some. whereas Stiletto bay pro works too. If you can find a 15 pitch TURBO that works on others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Good day all.

I have a ‘94 16 Bonefisher, with a ‘94 Yamaha 90. 

I have the same issue. The boat is propped with a Stilletto stainless 13.25x17 and at WOT only push 4700 rpm. I have been told to go down 2 pitch to get the RPM up to 5200’s, 3 pitch to 5500.

Fortunately, I am looking to repower with a new 4 stroke Yamaha 115. I should be repowered by spring. Any suggestions on the ballpark for the prop that should best suit the combination? 

7 hours ago, Tony-347 said:

Good day all.

I have a ‘94 16 Bonefisher, with a ‘94 Yamaha 90. 

I have the same issue. The boat is propped with a Stilletto stainless 13.25x17 and at WOT only push 4700 rpm. I have been told to go down 2 pitch to get the RPM up to 5200’s, 3 pitch to 5500.

Fortunately, I am looking to repower with a new 4 stroke Yamaha 115. I should be repowered by spring. Any suggestions on the ballpark for the prop that should best suit the combination? 

If I have my facts right, the '94 Bonefisher 16 hull weighs about 800 LBS.  A new Yamaha F115 weighs 377 LBS.  That setup will have some serious stern squat, but it will be faster!  Talk to Marcus at PowerTech 328-688-1970.  He is "The Man" to ask for help with prop selection and fit.  Just let him know what you are looking for, as far as performance.

Thanks a million Geeviam.

I looked at those stats, the problem is that the 90 and the 115 both weigh the same. If the cons are the same, may as well go with the more horsepower.

I’m not too into speed, 38 MPH is pretty quick on a 16 foot bathtub, and that’s what I average, trimmed out on a flat day. I am more scared with the porpoising, and the stern squat when either drifting or polling.

I was wondering if there are any lighter alternatives, on what motor to repower with. They are all in a $2k spread, and weigh more or less the same.

I really like my old lappy, and the boat is awesome, still in mint condition except for the midsection of the outboard (rotted out).

Any advice could really launch my Hewes to back on the water status.

Tony-347,

Your boat sounds like a beauty - you should post some pics when you can.  You're right, there are only small differences in weight between the Yamaha 4-stroke 90 and 115.  Maybe others who have experience with the Mercury 115 Pro XS (lightest 4S 115) or the Evinrude E-tec 90 (320 LBS) will chime in here.  Porpoising would be my main concern too.  Marcus at PT has a semi-cleaver 4-blade prop (SCD4) that he recommends for good stern lift and less porpoising.  It may not be the ultimate top-speed prop, but it is great for hole shot and a favorite among flats fisherman.

You have the 'best of the best' of the Redfisher hulls. Get some new power and get it dialed in with the right prop and hang on! it's a keeper! You are right about it being a bigger 16' boat than most. It will eat up some chop and run shallow when you need it to.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to post the conclusion to the original thread that I started months ago about the prop dilemma I was having hoping to help anyone that comes across this thread. 

I called around a few different prop companies and I ended up trying out Powertech props since the feedback I saw online was good. The guys over there were extremely helpful and informative, they took time to figure it out with me which I appreciated. 

The 13 1/4 x 17 prop was too much for my 90 4 stroke to spin, my hole shot wasn't terrible but it wasn't great ( about 3-4 seconds to plane ) and at WOT I was at 4800 rpms 28 mph. 

After calling powertech I went with their SCD13R15 which is 13 x 15. So I dropped diameter by .25 and pitch by 2. I went from 4800 rpms to 6000 ( sometimes 6100 but I back off the throttle ) and a top speed of 34-35 mph depending on wind/water. My hole shot is incredible. I'm on a plane in about 1.5 - 2 seconds, it's like having a new boat, it grips in the turns and just overall performs better. Good luck to anyone else looking to find a new prop, it can be a headache and hope this helps. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has repowered an old lappy with a 4 stroke. That 70 Yamaha is starting to look real good, the weight is about right (14 lbs heavier than my 90) the only issue I have is the underpower issue.

I am confident that the 70 will push it, but am also afraid it will “Pig” out and be a $10k mistake.

Too bad they don’t make a 70 VMax.

Archived