Stump Pass dredging

gambler1

Can anyone tell me the status on the dredging at the mouth of Stump Pass and if it is affecting the fishing in the area? Heading down in a couple weeks but will change plans if need to.

And how long a run is it to BG pass from there?

Also how is the Weston Wanna b Inn for taking my boat? Safe,secure, decent? Getting a cottage bayside.

Thanks for any reply's.

Use to stay at Weston's for years until I bought my own place in Englewood. It's safer than most places, not much crime in Englewood. Just don't leave anything of value that anyone can see in your boat. BG is about 12 miles South. You can usually run the Gulf in the morning because you typically have an East wind in the a.m. If you run the ICW, it will take about 40 min. because there is a 20 min. no wake zone between Englewood and Placida. That's assuming you run 35 to 40 mph when you can.

They are still building the rock jetty on the North side. When that is finished, they start dredging the center channel and depositing the sand on the South side of the inlet. The fish are still there, but we had some crummy (weak) tides lately. Combine a weak tide with an opposing wind and you get zero water flow.  I did manage some really nice Trout, several over 22" and a 40" Snook. Hopefully the wind will slow down and you'll have a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2017 at 7:57 PM, gambler1 said:

Thank you for the reply, I have not been down that way in quite a while. If you have any recommendations on a better place to stay I am all ears. Of course a dock outside my room is a plus.

Little Gasparilla Island.  I rent from Tarpon Reallty, but plenty on VRBO and other sites. 

Archived