2012 Owners Tournament

slyshon

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skip, I contacted the Breezy today and will look forward to staying with everyone else next year. While the Kon Tiki was great, the only thing I did not like about my first MOT was that we were "off site" for the weekend. We had a terrific time and really appreciate all of the effort that you, Charlie and probably many others put into this. Thanks again!

Big Dave

Look at the main thread for the 2011 Owner's Tournament posted by Charlie Johnson earlier this year. There is a link to the rules and itinerary.

It will give you the format and rules.

You get points for the fish you catch, and those points are converted to raffle tickets for the Awards party on Sat night.

• 1 month later...

We have not missed one since 1992, including the two shootouts (Maverick vs. Hewes) in the late 90's. You cannot find a nicer bunch of folks or a more relaxed atmosphere. As far as the fishing goes, just ask anybody and they'll help you out as much as they can. If you want to fish Flamingo, you can follow others to get there. MBC goes out of their way to make this a fun event. You won't be sorry if you come to it. (One warning, it's not a real tournament unless it's storming.)

In short, no payout each fish is catch and release as needed or fillet if you like. No proof, just honesty. Each species has a number of raffle tickets they are worth. MBC has great stuff they raffle off at the awards dinner. Main prize is usually a state of art latest greatest POWERPOLE! Very casual laid back and not serious.

This year was the second OT for the wife and I, but the first one staying at the Breezy Palms. I'd definately recommned staying here if you can; it makes meeting folks easier. This year, before a slip opened up, I had chatted with Ray at La Siesta. He was willing to charge me $20 a night to keep my boat on the trailer at the Bayside Ramp - one of the best in the Keys. It's less than a quarter mile from Breezy.

MHP goes out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. A special thanks to Charlie, who went above and beyond by tracking down a Pink Visor for my wife. I think it was her lucky charm!

• 1 month later...

Got my room. No boat slips left. If anyone is planning on cancelling, let me know so I can get the slip before a non-owner gets it.

What are good options for those without slips if one doesn't open up.

I booked for the nights of the 27, 28 and 29 leaving the day of the 30th. I should be good, right?

You are good on the dates. When we get a month away, check here for last minute cancels, or call Breezy to see if they had any open. If not, you can launch and dock across the street at La Siesta Marina, or Papa Joe's. The docks next door at Hampton Inn are way too high for small skiffs at low tide.

There are always a few people who cannot attend, sadly for them !

M-1

As long as you come down Saturday to fish and stay for the awards. If you plan on driving home that night, you should reconsider.. That would be Ironman stuff. The raffle portion of the awards is over an hour of very nice items. If possible, get a hotel room and dock for Sat. night booked.

• 2 months later...

Archived