Tripletail @ South Georgia

fishmanjj

Fished down near Cumberland Island today with my son.....sightfishing for tripletail on the beaches. Water was very dirty and a nasty SE and honking as well....but, we did manage to see a pair of them on a floating tree off the beach...made a few cast with DOA Airhead ....got lucky and we caught a legal keeper for the first tripletail of this season for us. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My friends catch them here in St. Cats all the time. I came across a large one near Grassy Island at the mouth of the Medway with his down in the sand and grass. Thought it was a huge redfish. I actually dropped a DOA on his back several times before I spooked him. I've never caught one, but there is an art to it.

31 minutes ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

My friends catch them here in St. Cats all the time. I came across a large one near Grassy Island at the mouth of the Medway with his down in the sand and grass. Thought it was a huge redfish. I actually dropped a DOA on his back several times before I spooked him. I've never caught one, but there is an art to it.

I know where Grass Island is....pretty shallow around there....I've only fished it on high tide. Seems like it gets dirty easy if any wind is blowing. We go up in a few creeks behind Ossabaw and normally catch a few trout on DOA's. 

Do you ever catch any redfish in the Medway ? Seems like they are few and far between in that river for some reason. We have caught some up in the ICW around marker 128. 

Archived