97 LT20 bad fuel leak

Bout Time 1

Went out to crank the boat today after a couple months of it sitting covered. Fired up ok and ran fine. Shut it down and smelled fuel. Opened the battery door in back and had a strong smell of fuel. Took out drain plug and drained 8-9 gallons of fuel from bilge. Hoping its a cracked fuel line from ethanol fuel and not a bad tank. Anyone have a similar issue? Guess I gotta take the console and floor panel up and find the leak. ***. Cobia are just showing up here. :(

On 4/17/2017 at 11:07 AM, linesider 159 said:

Get in touch with someone who pressure tests tanks before you tear anything apart.

Probably a leaking primer bulb, sender, or line unless the fuel has been slowly leaking for a while

While your looking for someone to check the tank, look at the fuel line, primmer and filter. If you have a filter, I have seen them rust and leak fuel. 

Well, I pulled the console and floor section today to access the tank. Thankfully Hewes does not foam their tanks in. Tank looks good. Have not seen any fuel since I drained the bilge. Ran the boat today with the tank and lines exposed and did not see any fuel leaking anywhere. Weird. Tank was built by TNT marine in Ft Pierce. 1/8", 56 gallon tank. Built in fall of 96. Guess next step is pressure test. 

The tank leaked on my 97 RF.  It was a slow leak at the aft, port weld at the bottom.  I decided to remove the old tank and installed a smaller Mueller poly tank.  This allowed me to do the job without cutting the deck but I now have 19g instead of 30g.  Obviously, be very careful with gas and gas fumes.  

A normal aluminum tank's useful life is usually 25 years unless its constructed of the heavier stock aluminum which TNT didn't use in the 90's. The only way to know what's going on inside the tank is to drop a camera in there. In most cases you will replace the tank once you see the video. I've seen dozens of older tanks that passed a pressure test then sprung a leak a year or two later, some sooner than that. 20+ year old tank, lines, fittings need to be replaced IMO.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:52 AM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Have you inspected the vent hose? If it falls off the thru-hull vent and falls lower than the level of the fuel in the tank, it will cause a syphoning effect and drain some fuel.

I will be checking that today along with the fill fitting. ThNks. 

On 4/27/2017 at 6:00 PM, conocean said:

A normal aluminum tank's useful life is usually 25 years unless its constructed of the heavier stock aluminum which TNT didn't use in the 90's. The only way to know what's going on inside the tank is to drop a camera in there. In most cases you will replace the tank once you see the video. I've seen dozens of older tanks that passed a pressure test then sprung a leak a year or two later, some sooner than that. 20+ year old tank, lines, fittings need to be replaced IMO.

It was made out of 1/8" aluminum

On 4/27/2017 at 9:39 AM, polliwog said:

Do we know if the tank is aluminium or stainless?  I have a 97 LT that I worry about.but nothing yet.  I do operate in salt NE ,but drive boat up fresh water river to my marina where it stays in the water.

My 96 Ma is aluminum and from TNT as well. 

I had to replace the gas tank in an old Seacraft that I had. The tank had several small pin holes in the lowest portion of the tank from water in the bottom of the tank. The water most likely came from condensation or water in the fuel from a gas station.

• 4 weeks later...

Well. Took it out again last night for a test run after replacing all the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs. As soon as i got 1/4 mile from ramp I smelled fuel. Turned around and brought it home and parked it with plug out. Quite a bit of fuel came out of the bilge again overnight. Gotta be a bad tank. Time to replace. :($$$$

Archived