97 LT 20 has major fuel leak.

Bout Time 1

Hey all. 

Went out to crank the boat today after it has sat for a couple months. Always been reliable. Cranked up fine and ran good. Cut it off and smelled fuel. Opened the battery door back by motor and really strong smell. Pulled the drain plug and bilge is slap full of fuel. I'm hoping its a rotted fuel line and not a hole in the tank. Tanks are aluminum aren't they? Guess I'm pulling console and floor panel to see whats up. And the cobia are just showing up!!! :((. 

B....O.....A.....T!!!

• 4 months later...

What did you find out?, I have a more than slight interest,since I have a 1997 20ft LT.   It's has been a concern because of age of the boat.  I wonder how many of these tanks fail and the cause of the issue.  Corrosion should be that be a deal if it only sits in a bit of fresh water from time to time.

The leak could be anywhere along the line. Before you start removing the console, try pumping the bulb and see if you can find a leak between the tank and motor. Your tank is supposed to have an anti-siphon valve to prevent the tank from leaking fuel if the problem is between the tank and motor. But sometimes people remove them or they get old and fail to operate as intended. When is the last time you replaced the hoses?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived