This weekend (April 15) Pine Is area?

johnd

With my bride rented little cottage in Bokeelia for 3 day weekend.  Assume she will want to "tourist" thing, but I'm bringing the skiff to explore a bit.  1) local ramp locations?   2) assuming I don't run outside, suggestions of general areas to fish..and what for?   3) tourist stuff we should see and restaurants she might enjoy (breakfast?  On the water? Dinner? )   

Thanks

I have not launched there in while, but there is a good county ramp in Bokelia.  There is also Pineland Marina down in the middle of Pine Island that has a ramp for a daily fee.  

Great area, pretty laid back, assuming a lot of the snow birds will have cleared out by this weekend.  Hopefully some other guys can give you a little more current info on fishing conditions, I haven't been in that area in while.  But usually there is bait out on the shoal off the NW end of Pine Island. I've always liked to fish in Jug Creek and the Mondongo area north of Usseppa which are both really pretty close.  But its really centrally located so you can really fish anywhere in that area from there easily.  

If you are not at all familiar with the area this site has good maps http://fishinfranks.com/where_to.htm

On 4/12/2017 at 8:06 AM, johnd said:

With my bride rented little cottage in Bokeelia for 3 day weekend.  Assume she will want to "tourist" thing, but I'm bringing the skiff to explore a bit.  1) local ramp locations?   2) assuming I don't run outside, suggestions of general areas to fish..and what for?   3) tourist stuff we should see and restaurants she might enjoy (breakfast?  On the water? Dinner? )   

Thanks

Be sure to hit Cabbage Key for lunch or dinner. It's right across the ICW from Useppa Island. 

Arrived Saturday, lunch at the famous Tarpon Lodge, a walking tour thru Randle Center (U of F) Caloosa mounds, canal & buried ground..a bit of tourist stuff then dinner @ the cottage we rented.  So many ospreys, palms & mango trees.  

Paid the $15 to launch at Pineland Marina. Very nice ramp. There are at least 2 other ramps on island. Headed to Mondo island area..SE wind, outgoing tide..I like to sight fish plastic, my wife prefers bait.  I "forgot" to bring bait :)   Skinny clear water, grass (we have no grass where I live). Missed a decent trout..mostly fought the winds and used to to move among the oyster bars & islands. Took photos

came in after maybe 3 hours (her choice), washed the skiff..gonna relax & maybe play tourist.  

Archived