Sliding Trolling Motor Mount

FunFlatsFishing

Is there a mount that allows the new trolling motors like the Xi5, iPilot or Ulterra to slide back over the bow when not in use?

Three reasons I am interested:

First - I hate the look of the new auto trolling motors hanging half off the bow when they aren't being used. 

Second - I need to mount over my old manual trolling motor mount as I can't get it off and don't want to have to redo all the nonskid/gel coat. 

Three - Boat cover will fit better.

I'm thinking if it was on some form of a rail or track it could slide back over the deck when not in use and could slide forward when needed to be deployed. 

Pics of my current set up with a manual trolling motor. 

IMG_8776.PNG

IMG_8777.PNG

IMG_8778.PNG

I hate the overhang on my XI5. I have to physically push the boat off the trailer when launching, otherwise the bow roller clips the side. I have already had to replace the plastic sides so I'm looking for an options as well. I've done research and have found people using the minkota bracket with mixed results, which leaves me considering the quick release bracket. My only question about using the quick release is wont it also hang off the bow a few inches? If so I would think the same issue of hitting the bow roller would happen and risk damaging the deck if you hit it hard enough? Thoughts???

3 hours ago, VsteveV said:

I hate the overhang on my XI5. I have to physically push the boat off the trailer when launching, otherwise the bow roller clips the side. I have already had to replace the plastic sides so I'm looking for an options as well. I've done research and have found people using the minkota bracket with mixed results, which leaves me considering the quick release bracket. My only question about using the quick release is wont it also hang off the bow a few inches? If so I would think the same issue of hitting the bow roller would happen and risk damaging the deck if you hit it hard enough? Thoughts???

If you don't want to go with the sliding mount, the only other options are to modify your winch roller position, remove the motor with a quick release when loading, or change your mounting position.  I mounted on the other side of the cleat to avoid that issue on shallow ramps.  The shaft shown is a 60", but it's a new generation Terrova with the lift assist gadget, so the shaft is 3" longer than usual and the head hangs past the deck.

Terr 1.jpg

Terr 3.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello!

While this is our first post here and the thread is a little over a year old, I thought others may find it useful to know that our company makes a product specifically for mounting trolling motors that allows you to slide them in a linear direction to avoid overhanging the boundary of your boats hull.  This helps keep your motor safe as well as avoid potential damage to the deck of your boat in the case of a collision with docks, other boats, trailer rollers, etc.

If interested, please check out our site at: ShuttleSlide.com

Overview-1650x600.jpg

I like it.   A few questions:

1)  Does it lock into place in the forward/rear positions, or can it always slide?

2) Any chance that the holes that mount the sliding mechanism to the hull align to the small quick release bracket (same one visible in the picture above)?   Would be nice not to have to put another round of holes in my deck.

Good morning.

Yes, our system is designed such that you can set a location anywhere along the path it travels to be a "locked" position by adjusting the friction force in the desired local area via a set screw.  Adjust it and forget it.  You do not have to turn it every time the mount is used.  Very friendly and simple.

We also have adapters available for use with previous installations.  If you used a quick release mount or hard mounted your motor, you won't need new holes in order to install our system.

Detailed information is on our site and we are always happy to discuss your particular needs if contact us directly too.

I Hope that helps answer your questions.  Let us know if we can assist further.

11 hours ago, Russ@Shuttleslide said:

Hello!

While this is our first post here and the thread is a little over a year old, I thought others may find it useful to know that our company makes a product specifically for mounting trolling motors that allows you to slide them in a linear direction to avoid overhanging the boundary of your boats hull.  This helps keep your motor safe as well as avoid potential damage to the deck of your boat in the case of a collision with docks, other boats, trailer rollers, etc.

If interested, please check out our site at: ShuttleSlide.com

Overview-1650x600.jpg

Super idea. When raise my TM for running, I always secure with a Velcro strap to prevent bounce. How do you prevent the control portion of the TM from bouncing when it is so far to the rear of the slide?

Thank you for the compliment!

However you are securing the head of your trolling motor now will continue to work as our system just allows you to move the entire assembly up to 6.5 to 9.0 inches depending on how you configure it.  Vertical height is increased less than 2 inches as well.

We do not currently offer a product that secures the head but it's possible we would add one in the future. 

Our testing didn't show any issues with the head as compared to a stock style install as a point of reference.

Archived