MacDill AFB open fishing day

hurricane

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 0:59 PM, FunFlatsFishing said:

Hurricane, you fishing this tomorrow? I will be out there.

Sorry I just got in and I just saw your message. I was there, didn't really do any good. Got some small snook, lost one that might have been just at the slot, and saw a monster. But no redfish, didn't even see a redfish, I saw one guy catch one. I have fished that area a lot and never have seen it like that. There was a lot of dead grass and there was zero bait on the flat. 

How did you do, I hope better than me?

We got a bunch of bait off the middle grounds and then went in. Lots of ladyfish and jacks but nothing worthwhile. There wasn't much grass at all. I trolled the whole area and then picked up and ran to some of my regular spots. Ended up with a nice slot snook and a gator trout. 

Were you using a push pole? I may have saw you. 

No push pole. I was on the platform but no push pole, just run the TM, my boat is Seafoam Green. In the morning was about in the middle east to west on the flat, then I picked up my wife and son. We had lunch and fished the strip of rocks by the channel to the ramp. Got snook and jacks, fun for the wife and 5 year old. Dropped them off and went all the way the west end to finish the day. 

I was really disappointed. Maybe the crappy grass on that flat explains why weedon has been so good. 

Man I need to get in the bay. Only been doing ICW at St Joseph's Sound and Boca Ciega Bay. No snook so far this season just schooled redfish who won't bite and trout. I'm hoping for a slot snook before season ends but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back on the water 

Archived