Birdsall Horizontal Mount Back Rest

Bonecracker

• 1 month later...

@LittleChief has one very similar, if not Birdsall, on his 17MA. I've been on his boat many times and it is great for long runs, choppy water, girlfriends/wives, the sandbar, and much more. It's ability to be easily put on or taken off  is convenient for days of more serious fishing. The mounting hardware is relatively flush to the deck as well so no stubbing toes when it's not being used. It has me thinking of putting one on mine. 

Here's us (I guess just me) using it on a run to Hell's Bay after battling the chop of Whitewater Bay in 30mph headwinds. It was quite the back saver.

IMG_7026.thumb.JPG.f782b5a9323586d884e4bb32c8fb8f68.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I should have followed up on this but I did not! I spent some time on the phone and computer with Birdsall and Skip and ended with the 16" arms and the 48" long back rest. Measured three times and drilled into my new to me skiff! :( Lots of 5200 and lots of clean-up but took less than an hour to install and 40 min were spent measuring, re-measuring, and re-re-measuring!!

1a.JPG

1aaa.JPG

1ab.JPG

1aba.JPG

1abb.JPG

1abbb.JPG

1abbbb.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Anyone add a backrest to a 99 mirage 16.5 HP cap? The distance between the hatches where the brackets go is to narrow, only 2”.  I got the brackets shown here in the thread from Birdsall, but the mounting piece is too big. Don't want to reinvent the wheel here if i don't have to. May have to get new mounting brackets that are narrow but longer and through bolt with a ton of 5200. Let me know please if anyone has a better idea.

34F54477-AB6D-44DF-8144-0C1346F38464.jpeg

F021668D-93A4-45DA-87B5-1D0B1F5A3A36.jpeg

Yes I have an idea, don’t use 5200 more so a ton of it. Other poster said LOTS, why not just some sealant or at most 4200 which can be removed without a chisel. Sorry but can never understand the logic of using 5200 nowadays for everything. Not a know it all, would love to have this explained to me. No offense intended. Fin 😀🙏

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Yes I have an idea, don’t use 5200 more so a ton of it. Other poster said LOTS, why not just some sealant or at most 4200 which can be removed without a chisel. Sorry but can never understand the logic of using 5200 nowadays for everything. Not a know it all, would love to have this explained to me. No offense intended. Fin 😀🙏

Fin, you don’t always need a chisel to remove 5200....I found that a hacksaw blade and sometimes a come-a- long will also work to remove components bonded down to the deck with 5200. 

Now with 4200....I’ve taken a few radio and depth finder mounts off using dental floss....it will cut right through it. Then goo gone and paint thinner will remove the thin section that adheres to deck or top of console. Much easier clean up and holds just as good.   JJ 👍🎣🙏

6 hours ago, Cobalt said:

To avoid a mess, have you guys seen other methods for installing a backrest on an old hull? Im old and need the backrest!  The other option I can have made is a collapsable backrest affixed to the poling tower. All ideas are welcome.

Me too old, need a backrest. Do you have room for backing plates. Better than 5200. I would rather have the fold down on the polling platform. Will not get in the way and will not have to remove when using the back deck. Pia to remove all the time and a safety hazard for us old guy’s. The one you looking at is very good but no need for 5200. Thru bolt, backing plates or fender washers and seal. JMO. Good luck. Fin 😀🙏

12 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Me too old, need a backrest. Do you have room for backing plates. Better than 5200. I would rather have the fold down on the polling platform. Will not get in the way and will not have to remove when using the back deck. Pia to remove all the time and a safety hazard for us old guy’s. The one you looking at is very good but no need for 5200. Thru bolt, backing plates or fender washers and seal. JMO. Good luck. Fin 😀🙏

@Fin Addict i am looking into the fold down. Sounds like the best option. Thanks! 

@whichwaysup never heard of them. I will google today and check it out, thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/31/2017 at 4:14 PM, Bonecracker said:

Sorry, I should have followed up on this but I did not! I spent some time on the phone and computer with Birdsall and Skip and ended with the 16" arms and the 48" long back rest. Measured three times and drilled into my new to me skiff! :( Lots of 5200 and lots of clean-up but took less than an hour to install and 40 min were spent measuring, re-measuring, and re-re-measuring!!

1a.JPG

1aaa.JPG

1ab.JPG

1aba.JPG

1abb.JPG

1abbb.JPG

1abbbb.JPG

Hey buddy! I just ordered my backrest. By any chance do you know the measurement from the front of the back deck to the bracket? I’d greatly appreciate it!!