West Galveston San Luis Pass area advice

SthurmanFW

Hi folks
Wanted some advice on putting in(ramps) and fishing West Galveston/SA Luis pass area
Boat is a 18' Maverick, just picked it up here on the forum, she's a beaut, looking to hopefully pole and sight cast some if possible, if not will do whatever it takes.
What ramps are decent in that area and what is the area like for fishing? The marshes over on the west side of San Luis pass look interesting
Thanks everyone
ST

There are several ramps on Chocolate Bayou that provide access to the West Bay etc.  We put in on a ramp on TX 2004 at the bridge crossing Chocolate Bayou but it's a good hall to the SA Luis pass from there.  There are also a couple of ramps around Jamaica Beach but I've never used them.  Word to the wise:  Chocolate Bay is loaded with fish but really SHALLOW and full of Oyster Reefs so if you go, be careful outside of the channel......

AG

The area where the west bay is separated from the intracoastal, there is a mound of waste created by dredging the intracoastal....It has a bunch of grass/shell.  From the Island, if you cross west bay (North) heading towards Chocolate Bay, the area I'm referring to is East of the mouth of Chocolate Bay.....If you head East thru West Bay, you'll see the area/mound on the North side of the bay.....West Bay is fairly deep in the middle so you can run....you'll see the mound separating the West bay from the intracoastal.....It's not far to the East of the mouth of Chocolate. (3-4 miles)  We've caught lots of fish in that grass....I've seen several boats polling close to the mound.....guides etc....but my boat isn't shallow enough to get that close to the mound....it's perfect you your boat as is Chocolate Bay......

• 3 months later...

We put in at the KOA 2 weeks ago super low tide with north wind blowing. Made it about 3/4 of the way out and had to shut down and use trolling motor the rest of the way out.

Tide was easily 2.5 low so on a normal tide you should be good.

Archived