Rebuild Thread Begun_Please Welcome The Holy Ghost To the Forum

Wanaflatsfish

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's a keeper.  Glad to see you "see the light" with the MA hull.  I just sold my blue one today, so I'm only down to one now.  May have to rectify that some day, but for now, one is enough.  Keep this one running - we need to keep these hulls alive until MBC realizes their mistake and starts building them again!

My uneducated guess would be that these boats hit the market when a flats boat was a flats boat.  The idea of technical poling vs. bay boat vs. all around flats boat hadn't evolved yet.  The market was glutted with similar boats.  The MA was an excellent all around boat for fishing the flats and running bigger water on the way.  It does what most guys do most of the time, but didn't make it into the specialty realm.  With two similar boats, the redfisher got the slot for the "general all around flats boat" and the MA got discontinued.  I don't think anyone realized how good a hull it was until later.  Resale values tell the story now.  

Its funny how folks who have been on one or had one rave about it, but those who haven't really don't think there's a difference.  To me, it's just got great lines, a great ride, great layout, great stability, plenty of room.   It really is a perfect boat for what I do 99.999% of the time.

I figured the marked just got so diluted with the multiple variations of boats.  Seems like the Pathy and the MA are the same boat except for the deck layout.  And of course the height of the gunnels.  I love the Pathy for running in rough stuff but love the layout of the MA.  Tons of storage.  

This should probably be on its own thread but... The "why did they stop making MA's" has come up many times. Came up at the first SWFL owners tournament also.  MA's were expensive to make. Take the 21 for instance. You see the 21MA at a dealer with a 70k sticker and saw a 22 bay boat next to it with a 58k sticker.  A lot of guys choose bay boat not knowing or caring about the quality and time that went into making that 70k 21MA.  Cost to produce the boat and room to maintain molds versus how many sold per year is what killed the MA.  

Quick story on the MAs reputation from many, many years ago. Had a friend who bought a new Renegade "flats boat" and was as proud as a new father. He was bragging how great the ride was over my Hewes Bayfisher, I said yeah, but you need 16" of water to float so it's not really a flats boat. It went back and forth over a few beers and this guy a few stools down makes the comment, "when the weather kicks up and it gets real rough you will see the Hewes, Action Crafts come back to the dock first, then you will see other boats like your Renegade come back just a little later, however the last boat you will see coming back to the dock is the Master Angler".  

Always remembered that story.......

I think the MA line fell to the same fate as boats like the Pathfinder 23DV. I don't think people really understood how good they were until it was too late. How good they are directly correlates to their resale values in the used mkt and the number of these boats that are constantly refit and upgraded every year.

On 2/1/2017 at 5:30 AM, Lap it Up said:

Sales went down year after year.  People moved more to their technical Mirage and the Bay boat craze. 

I think the whole Technical craze could be over-stated....bay boat craze...defiantely, MHP owns that market...at least in South Florida and the Glades/10K's..

Unless you are a "true" poller a RF, MA, or Bay boat will float in most of the same conditions - 10-12"...

Since we don't sight feeeesssshhh.......What my fishing partner DonH and I found was we usually waited till we had 1.5' of water and the reds / snook would move in...in these bights...any of the aforementioned would be floating :)

dc

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I think the whole Technical craze could be over-stated....bay boat craze...defiantely, MHP owns that market...at least in South Florida and the Glades/10K's..

Unless you are a "true" poller a RF, MA, or Bay boat will float in most of the same conditions - 10-12"...

Since we don't sight feeeesssshhh.......What my fishing partner DonH and I found was we usually waited till we had 1.5' of water and the reds / snook would move in...in these bights...any of the aforementioned would be floating :)

dc

^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^ 

Just an idea. Before I rewired and added a new TM many moons ago I consulted with Mike from Master Repair when he was down in Lauderdale and I installed my plug on the sidewall of that anchor compartment. I'm not sure you plug will fit, but I have my plug mounted on the upper side wall of that anchor compartment just slightly ahead of your old hole so it doesn't interfere with the anchor when stored.

Having it on the sidewall will prevent water from running into it if it enters that compartment. Sounds kind of crazy, but once in Stuart on the Indian River I was in an idle zone near a bridge when a huge sport fisher's wake went over the top of my bow. Water rolled over and into the compartment and would have soaked the plug if mine was mounted where yours is. Occasionally, when fishing in rough water the bow can dip and take some chop over the front bow and water will enter that compartment and drain cross that area and on to your plug. It also gets wet when you use the anchor rope. Also, my bow line is usually laying on that top area and is sometimes pretty wet. That compartment drains to the bilge unlike all the others that drain into the cockpit or rear well. In short, is the only wet compartment on my boat, all others seal perfectly with gaskets.

Just thought I'd mention my view based on having the MA17 many years now.  My plug is a different style as well, so like I said before maybe yours doesn't fit on that sidewall. Just trying to save you the trouble of that occurring on the water. The battery console box looks good!

I thought I was the only one that got bloody every time I do something in the console!  Glad to see I have company!:D  When I installed my rod holder drains, I had to follow up with paper towels to clean up the blood splatter (DNA evidence).

1 hour ago, JEM said:

I thought I was the only one that got bloody every time I do something in the console!  Glad to see I have company!:D  When I installed my rod holder drains, I had to follow up with paper towels to clean up the blood splatter (DNA evidence).

Yep..those rod holder drains in the console got me too.. ..previous owner had every wire and line zip tied up tight in the console, however all the zip tie ends were cut on an angle and sharp as a razor ! I finally got the drains all in, I actually got pretty good at installing a zip tie, pulling it tight and cutting it....with one hand ! Because I couldn't get two arms in their at the same time. 

However, I have since installed a large access door in front of console  in order to service my TM batteries and on board charger and can get both arms in there now. 

8 hours ago, Flireman said:

Just an idea. Before I rewired and added a new TM many moons ago I consulted with Mike from Master Repair when he was down in Lauderdale and I installed my plug on the sidewall of that anchor compartment. I'm not sure you plug will fit, but I have my plug mounted on the upper side wall of that anchor compartment just slightly ahead of your old hole so it doesn't interfere with the anchor when stored.

Having it on the sidewall will prevent water from running into it if it enters that compartment. Sounds kind of crazy, but once in Stuart on the Indian River I was in an idle zone near a bridge when a huge sport fisher's wake went over the top of my bow. Water rolled over and into the compartment and would have soaked the plug if mine was mounted where yours is. Occasionally, when fishing in rough water the bow can dip and take some chop over the front bow and water will enter that compartment and drain cross that area and on to your plug. It also gets wet when you use the anchor rope. Also, my bow line is usually laying on that top area and is sometimes pretty wet. That compartment drains to the bilge unlike all the others that drain into the cockpit or rear well. In short, is the only wet compartment on my boat, all others seal perfectly with gaskets.

Just thought I'd mention my view based on having the MA17 many years now.  My plug is a different style as well, so like I said before maybe yours doesn't fit on that sidewall. Just trying to save you the trouble of that occurring on the water. The battery console box looks good!

Rob,

Yes, thanks...I'm using the Battery Tender....I tried to put it on the area you describe....however,  it did not work....so, I went where I cut it out....it seals very well......

Looking forward to getting her slimed....

dc

More upgrades....she's about ready to rock.....

Next upgrades are to install the two power poles....Capt DonH and I will be doing this in a couple of weeks...lots of work for the next weekend..so, no boating fun.

Here are some additional pics.....

Today....finalized the battery set up and cleaned up all the wiring...

Changed out the PERKO switch as I didn't like how it was "sounding"...went with the same...when I have some time, I"ll work on a blue seas; but, the BS needed a bit larger loop on the wire....

I spent a few hours doing the re-wire and it came out nice....

I spent the $$$ and went with Ancor Heat Shrink connections...they worked well

Pic 1 is the bracket for the bennet pump...yep, an old school original bennett...then the Here is some pics as I dis-assembled the Perko Switch..then installed the new Blue Seas...she's almost ready..

I"m REALLY AMAZED...THE WIRING IS PERFECT..LIKE A TIME WARP...NO CORROSION ON ANY OF THE ORIGINAL WIRING !!! AMAZING.

PLAYED WITH MY 741XS....Garmin..not selling it with he Skinny Mini...bought one for the someone...a 545 from a Forum Member..this way the Skinny Mini has a nice GPS.

More to come...

DC

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 6:47 AM, conocean said:

What are the latest updates to the Holy Ghost? Is it ENP certified yet???

been busy....was just able to finalize the last few items.....

Garmin GPS installed.

Two power-pole installed - created it's own electrical bus and switch off the battery....

Re-positioned the Bennet Trim tab HPU...working fine now

Taking it out tomorrow for a trial run....then off to Choko with Capt DonH for a day on the water...let's see how she runs....

DC

Archived